Is it possible to enable Arch-Vile ghosts through console?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 pm

I've found this thread, which say there is a hidden compat_vileghosts CVAR in (G)ZDoom, which could enable that:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -in-zdoom/

But can't get it to work in game (keep getting "unknown command") when I try it. Is it possible to use this in-game? I remember ghosts monsters happening in Monster Condo and would like to be able to re-introduce this bug when I want to.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Is it possible to enable Arch-Vile ghosts through consol

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 pm

No, that particular compat setting is deliberately locked out for modders/mappers (I believe that Graf has made it clear before that he will never expose this setting, as he doesn't want people relying on this bug). With that being said, it isn't hard to restore the bug through ZScript, I've done so here (feel free to use/edit it, details in the code). That code is designed for mappers, but could be easily modified to work as a general toggle for a user (I can help if you are unfamiliar). Remember that you will need to set the "compat_corpsegibs" CVAR regardless (i.e. "Crushed monsters can be resurrected" in the options) for this to work.
Cicero Debberkot wrote:I remember ghosts monsters happening in Monster Condo and would like to be able to re-introduce this bug when I want to.

Must have used a different source port, because GZDoom does not expose that setting to users, as mentioned above. The only maps on GZDoom that normally allow ghosts are hardcoded in gzdoom.pk3 (search for "vile_ghosts").