Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 4:19 am

Windows Defender labels it as a Trojan for some reason. Are these claims true, or is it a false positive? If you are telling to install a different anti virus, I did on 5/22/2021.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 am

I very strongly doubt there's a virus in it. It's a Python script (you can see the source code here) in an exe shell for convenience, and that's the kind of things that sometimes trips anti-virus software because they can't check the script that the program runs so they flag it "just in case".

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 am

Gez wrote:I very strongly doubt there's a virus in it. It's a Python script (you can see the source code here) in an exe shell for convenience, and that's the kind of things that sometimes trips anti-virus software because they can't check the script that the program runs so they flag it "just in case".



Makes a lot of sense. Open source is a lot less likely to get infected, it's only logical.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 5:23 am

yum13241 wrote: Open source is a lot less likely to get infected, it's only logical.

It is dangerous to make such dubious assumptions. Open source is a good target for malware authors - so make sure you download from trusted sources.

This is why Linux distros tend to have signature and hashing mechanisms to check packages for integrity before they install them. If the downloaded signature does not match, then obviously the package was compromised and it is immediately discarded. As a package maintainer you only ever sign packages if you are absolutely sure you can trust them and you can assert that it is safe.

Open source is as good a target as any for malware and other fuckery. But Wadsmoosh is definitely safe.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 am

Rachael wrote:
yum13241 wrote: Open source is a lot less likely to get infected, it's only logical.

It is dangerous to make such dubious assumptions. Open source is a good target for malware authors - so make sure you download from trusted sources.

This is why Linux distros tend to have signature and hashing mechanisms to check packages for integrity before they install them. If the downloaded signature does not match, then obviously the package was compromised and it is immediately discarded. As a package maintainer you only ever sign packages if you are absolutely sure you can trust them and you can assert that it is safe.

Open source is as good a target as any for malware and other fuckery. But Wadsmoosh is definitely safe.



Good to know...

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 5:35 am

yum13241 wrote:Windows Defender labels it as a Trojan for some reason. Are these claims true, or is it a false positive? If you are telling to install a different anti virus, I did on 5/22/2021.

It is hosted on this very forum. If it were a virus, the staff would know this immediately.

It is a false positive, because apparently its contents look like something resembling a virus, but it is harmless.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 5:59 am

Redneckerz wrote:
yum13241 wrote:Windows Defender labels it as a Trojan for some reason. Are these claims true, or is it a false positive? If you are telling to install a different anti virus, I did on 5/22/2021.

It is hosted on this very forum. If it were a virus, the staff would know this immediately.

It is a false positive, because apparently its contents look like something resembling a virus, but it is harmless.



So you people made it?

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 am

yum13241 wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:
yum13241 wrote:Windows Defender labels it as a Trojan for some reason. Are these claims true, or is it a false positive? If you are telling to install a different anti virus, I did on 5/22/2021.

It is hosted on this very forum. If it were a virus, the staff would know this immediately.

It is a false positive, because apparently its contents look like something resembling a virus, but it is harmless.



So you people made it?

JPL made Wadsmoosh yes.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 6:42 am

Redneckerz wrote:
yum13241 wrote:

It is hosted on this very forum. If it were a virus, the staff would know this immediately.

It is a false positive, because apparently its contents look like something resembling a virus, but it is harmless.



So you people made it?[/quote]
JPL made Wadsmoosh yes.[/quote]

Good. Where would it store the smooshed wad?

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am

yum13241 wrote:Good. Where would it store the smooshed wad?

It generates a .pk3 file and i assume its in the same directory as where Wadsmoosh is located.

Wadsmoosh has an itch.io page here.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 3:09 pm

Redneckerz wrote:
yum13241 wrote:Good. Where would it store the smooshed wad?

It generates a .pk3 file and i assume its in the same directory as where Wadsmoosh is located.

Wadsmoosh has an itch.io page here.



My reason for asking was bc it wasn't showing up, I fixed it by NOT smooshing PLUTONIA.WAD, which always has caused problems.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Was the program generating any useful error messages with Plutonia present? You might need to report it to the author so it can be fixed.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 8:53 pm

wildweasel wrote:Was the program generating any useful error messages with Plutonia present? You might need to report it to the author so it can be fixed.


It closed before I could see it and the log didn't show it. The last thing that was in the log was scanning plutonia or something like that. Does it work with anyone elses plutonia.wad?

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 pm

I've got a Wadsmoosh that includes Plutonia, so it worked for me. Try running the program from a Command Prompt, so it doesn't disappear immediately and you can read whatever error it gives.

Re: Is Wadsmoosh really a virus?

Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 am

wildweasel wrote:I've got a Wadsmoosh that includes Plutonia, so it worked for me. Try running the program from a Command Prompt, so it doesn't disappear immediately and you can read whatever error it gives.


Will do.