How would I make a RPG battle system? (Earthbound like)

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello, I am making a Lisa: the painful fan mod in ultimate doom builder, I was wondering how (and if) I could make an RPG battle system. I had a few ideas, but I want a system that actually works like an actual RPG would. if there is a mod already out there that has features like this or if someone would be willing to help with it, that would help alot!

Re: How would I make a RPG battle system? (Earthbound like)

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:08 am

What exactly do you imagine under 'rpg battle system'? A turn-based combat, stop motion? Please, be more accurate.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:25 pm

turn-based, with a abilitie menu and everything? I said in the title its like earthbound.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:58 am

Hello, while I don't know enough about coding mods (Virtually nothing in fact) to make such a system, there is a crude rpg system made for the Spaghetti mod, so you could get the file, and study it yourself using slade3 to open it up and view the appropriate files (I don't know which ones would be the right ones though) ,to get an understanding of how to make your own.

To clarify, you can get yourself an nes controller which allows you to click on an enemy and essentially "pull" them into an rpg engagement which is old style, but it does seem to have problems when both entities are on moving sectors, otherwise though it is quite close to an old school rpg battle system!

Another problem is the entities are still "in" the "real" world, so if the player is on a damaging floor, they will still take damage.

It would be wise to credit the mod creator for your studies, especially if you effectively had to use similar or exact structure in order to get yours to work properly.

I hope this helps!