Selling a game made with zDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
BattleCat

Selling a game made with zDoom?

Post by BattleCat »

Hey everyone.
I'm working on a game and so far I'm inclined to use zDoom. I'm not sure if I'd actually be able to sell it though. I got the impression I could sell zDoom based games as long as the source code is included, but digging through the zDoom files I see things in there using the GNU license as well. Does anybody know anything about this? I'm guessing it's probably not allowed, in which case I'll just distribute the game for free.
Gez

Re: Selling a game made with zDoom?

Post by Gez »

ZDoom cannot be used in commercial products because of a few troublesome licenses. The GNU licenses, however, are not an obstacle; the freedom to commercialize your work being one of the freedoms that the Free Software Fundation insists on.

GZDoom is compatible with commercial distribution. You should make your game a [wiki]custom IWAD[/wiki], and you will have to remove the files game_support.pk3 file, brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 from the distribution.
BattleCat

Post by BattleCat »

Oh I thought the two were pretty much the same thing. Thank you so much, I was actually planning on using Gzdoom.

Post by Guest »

so i was looking at this and was thinking can i sell a gzdoom GAME not just iwad but a full version of gzdoom but then i find the posts here and idk if i can now BUT keep in mind its a gzdoom version and iwad to have levels textures and stuff im only use the gzdoom engine not the textures and things just the engine... and my own textures enemy thing stuff like that SO if i fallow this then can i sell a game like this?...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sylvia Hoshford wrote:so i was looking at this and was thinking can i sell a gzdoom GAME not just iwad but a full version of gzdoom but then i find the posts here and idk if i can now BUT keep in mind its a gzdoom version and iwad to have levels textures and stuff im only use the gzdoom engine not the textures and things just the engine... and my own textures enemy thing stuff like that SO if i fallow this then can i sell a game like this?...
Yes. Just delete the extra data PK3 files as mentioned above, and if you make any changes to the source to GZDoom itself, you will need to make your source available under the terms of GPL.

Return to “General”