Doomsday particle system [Heretic]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kagur

Doomsday particle system [Heretic]

Post by Kagur »

So I was watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz5qVdyPBqo

from this thread:

https://talk.dengine.net/discussion/245 ... rticle-mod

and I really wanted to experience those awesome particle effects like in the video. I downloaded Doomsday 2.2.2 x64 and tried to run it, but it failed because of opengl issues which I probably won't be getting around without buying a new laptop.

That said however, I do wonder how these effects were created; Were these made by sprites, 3d models or a product primarily rendered by the Doomsday engine? What are the chances that they can be ported to Gzdoom or any of its branches?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Doomsday particle system [Heretic]

Post by leileilol »

Looks like the standard spritey scripted spewing effects it has had for 15+ years, it doesn't look too unique that anything with a particle system or GZdoom can't do.

There's also the attach-lens-flares-to-everything-that-glows part that's been there since '99 (which can mask how the effects are spawned...which doesn't look different than balls being shot out from all directions)
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

The thing is that I have not seen any mod before that had special effects that are that dynamic (especially with how the sparks fly out when using the Dragon Claw or the phoenix rod).

I'm not sure if its because of the reshade addon to that mod or the way the particles fly out with that much 3d depth, but it easily rivals the likes of those in effects in Dark Souls. If this was indeed just standard spritey scripted spewing effects, I expected a drop in FPS ( but then again, maybe the user's computer is really powerful). There was a AVP mod in which someone coded the plasma blaster to shoot out a shower of particles upon each blast impact, but removed it shortly after realizing that it was causing a dramatic drop in FPS.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I'd think Reshade would only do that awful vignette overlay on the video. Doomsday has a particle system. I don't think it's rivaling anything really, my tech artist eyes are just seeing bouncy balls with variating gravity and elasticity.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

I reckon you could check out the standalone JHeretic releases to see if it also existed before Doomsday 1.x.
Despite a lot of frontend improves and bias lighting, the core visual feature set of DoomsDay has remained mostly the same in my experience.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Thanks for the responses. The author Andrew MRX is actually a registered member here and I sent him a PM regarding this.
AndrewMRX
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by AndrewMRX »

Hello. It was done on a doomsday particlre generator. So, you cannot port it in GZDoom. You need to remake all effects, or write similar generator.

Return to “General”