Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

ImpieTwo wrote:Cyrgoth's Manor is a cool Hexen hub with 7 maps, for those of you looking for more Hexen.



It's vanilla, so you can use mods with it, so it works great with Karnak.



Was just looking for hexen stuff, will give it a try!

Wanted to ask a couple questions.

1.) Hexen Monster enhancement mods, do they exist? or randomizers?
2.)What are some of the best map sets for Hexen?

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 am

Crudux Cruo wrote:2.)What are some of the best map sets for Hexen?

Based on what I have played, some of the best Hexen wads (not all just simple mapsets) include:

- Carnage Galore 3.
- Chuxen.
- Cyrgoth's Manor and its sequel Cyrgoth's Revenge.
- A New World.
- Curse of the Lost Gods.
- Four Weeks of Pain.
- Fucking Hexen (yes, really).
- HUMP.
- Hexmas.
- NanoHexen.
- Shadows of Cronos.
- Starship.
- Stratospheric Domain.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:00 am

Howdy y'all.

It may not be the best place to ask, but better to ask it here, than clog up the forums with separate topics.

Are there more mods like Cold as Hell, City of the Dammned: Apocalypse, Ashes 2063, maybe also Abyssm: DoI? Obviously their main common point is the greater emphasis on story and atmosphere, but I also liked the more open, and lightly puzzle-oriented elements of the two former WADS. Since I played Strife I always thought that there is a certain kind of potential in this engine, maybe not fully exploited - and those WADS did their best to strengthen mine conviction.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm

https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5988
It's an Aliens mod for Zandronum, but it also works with ZDoom.
https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4312
Another ZDoom compatible Zandronum mod, it's name is Tortured Transmission.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:15 pm

The link for the Aliens mod is dead.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 am

You can find the Aliens mod on the wad archive.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Skulltag Invasion mods (Zero Invasion, Armageddon Invasion, Beta Invasion, etc.)

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:58 am

Bumpy.
Is this only about fully released mods, or do unfinished mods (but playable) also count?

Here's a link to my "Lost in Cold Haze" (or simply Haze... I suck at titles) mod:
http://paul.drdteam.org/HazePrototype.zip

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Wade Lightgold wrote:Howdy y'all.

It may not be the best place to ask, but better to ask it here, than clog up the forums with separate topics.

Are there more mods like Cold as Hell, City of the Dammned: Apocalypse, Ashes 2063, maybe also Abyssm: DoI? Obviously their main common point is the greater emphasis on story and atmosphere, but I also liked the more open, and lightly puzzle-oriented elements of the two former WADS. Since I played Strife I always thought that there is a certain kind of potential in this engine, maybe not fully exploited - and those WADS did their best to strengthen mine conviction.

None come to mind off the bat, but every time I make a Heretic mod it tends to be puzzle or exploration based, like Ghoul School and Realms of Dr Chaos, and the new one I'm doing Arkista's Ring.

Usually when I play mods that are story heavy they aren't written or executed well, even if they have decent ideas. Usually they use forced cutscenes and such.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 am

Nmn wrote:Bumpy.
Is this only about fully released mods, or do unfinished mods (but playable) also count?

Here's a link to my "Lost in Cold Haze" (or simply Haze... I suck at titles) mod:
http://paul.drdteam.org/HazePrototype.zip

This is a cool enough mod that I think people should have the opportunity to try it - even if it does require an ancient copy of ZDoom to work properly.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:07 am

Thank you Rachael :)

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 am

Oh i do know this mod so well!

Actually, one of the first builds of my "Nightshift" project had the exact same arsenal from Haze, but i ended up choosing alternatives to avoid being misinterpreted as just ripping it off. :)

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 am

@Dr_Cosmobyte - I've checked out your mod, it's great! :D Has a seriously chilly atmosphere!
So I guess I can count that as well as a cool mod I've missed :)

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 am

Rachael wrote:This is a cool enough mod that I think people should have the opportunity to try it - even if it does require an ancient copy of ZDoom to work properly.

Are you aware of any particular issues with newer versions of the engine? I just tried it with GZDoom 4.4.2. I didn't go too far (visited a few of the sub-maps, wandered around the cottage, got bitten by a dog etc) and it all seemed to be working in much the same way as I remember it doing so when I first played it some time ago.

The only issues I saw reported at the console were a few truncation of floating point warnings and some missing flats.

And it is indeed a very interesting and atmospheric mod.

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 am

Thank you, sir =:)

I haven't tried it with the newest Gzdoom's myself. One thing I can say about the dogs and stuff, I highly recommend turning notarget on as the "grabbed-n-bitten" mechanic is very, very flakey :|

With this mod I took a huge chunk of a bite, more than I could swallow, in regards to scripting, I'm no programmer, most of the stuff was trial and error.
And frustration.

If I ever took another spin at Haze I will definitely remove pretty much all of the inventory stuff and just stick with something more akin to Hexen's inventory for keyitems.
To be honest, I was kinda hoping someone would rewrite those scripts to a better standard. Kind of self centered I admit, people got other obligations I'm certain :(

And, ofcourse, change the stupid name. I always was bad with titles..