The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Skunk

Re: The unofficial "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by Skunk »

It died.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I don't know much about Macs, but I'm running it off a flash drive, and I get the same error if I run it from a folder on the desktop.

EDIT: also tried using Darwine...
Spoiler:
And then it quits out with error.
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

The launcher died, likely because that's still compiled with the 10.5 SDK, from the amount of failure I see. Try running "/Volumes/PEARL/ZDoom\ OS\ X.app/Contents/MacOS/zdoom" (the actual program) from the terminal and see if that runs. Path I typed is ready for copypasta in terminal, minus the quotes.

Also don't try to use Darwine for anything ew.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

So far so good. Everything starts up and runs alright, including my own acs demanding test wads. The one suggestion I would make is to have iwads be detected if they are placed in the same directory as the zdoom launcher/executable (or a path to specify where the launcher can look for an iwad instead of dictating a directory). So far so good though, great work!
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Goddamn Xcode.

Even though I set the build configuration to "10.4 Release", it still decided to use the 10.5 SDK for the launcher.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Hmmm...

I know nothing of compiling anything, but since I have 10.4 macs at school, could I compile the source? Or does it not matter?
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

I figured out the 10.4 SDK problem for the launcher. Try this version.

On a side note, I was thinking about using a different icon for this port. I was thinking something along the lines of "Doomguy meets Mac", or something that looks trendy and hip like a stereotypical Mac OS X application. Here's one I made that I like:

Another interesting note: I just noticed that the launcher code I'm using was actually written by Neil (the guy who first attempted a Mac port of ZDoom). It looks like he was a contributor to PrBoom+.
Last edited by sniperchance on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

I was also thinking about porting some ZDoom-related tools to Mac OS X.

ACC compiles just fine, and actually checks for endian differences (PPC is big endian, x86 is little). I'd like to port something like SLumpEd to OS X, since it uses wxWidgets (which is bundled with Mac OS X), and there aren't any majorly useful Doom WAD utilities for Macs.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

sniperchance wrote:I was also thinking about porting some ZDoom-related tools to Mac OS X.

ACC compiles just fine, and actually checks for endian differences (PPC is big endian, x86 is little). I'd like to port something like SLumpEd to OS X, since it uses wxWidgets (which is bundled with Mac OS X), and there aren't any majorly useful Doom WAD utilities for Macs.
This would be awesome.

I'm not so keen on the icon, though. The fact that it's the Mac version is kind of a given, seeing as it's running on a Mac. I don't need a big X to distinguish between the Mac ZDoom that's in my Dock and the Windows ZDoom that...isn't :P
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Just tried to run it but there wasn't a game to play which tells me that something went wrong.

Order of events:
ZDoom OS X Launcher appears.
Click Launch
Console appears.
Nothing.
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

sniperchance wrote:I was also thinking about porting some ZDoom-related tools to Mac OS X.

TBH I'd rather have a working SLADE than a working SLumpEd right away, as it doesn't really work right now and there are no other map editors for OS X. Still anything is better than nothing. Also people need to tell you that you're awesome more often. I'll start. You sir at teh awesomest awesome.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Yeah, I honestly can't wait for this to actually work on the school Macs, so I'd have something for the downtime ^^
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

I almost feel like getting someone's recovery disc of Tiger and installing it in a virtual machine, just to get the damn thing working.

I also managed to compile a PPC binary of ZDoom (!!), but for some reason it won't load IWADs.

Regarding the "messed up MIDI instruments" bug, I think I'll write a music system to utilize QuickTime, because it plays MIDI/MUS files better than through FMOD.
Last edited by sniperchance on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

If you get another 10.4 ver I won't be able to test it until wednesday, just to let you know. ^^;
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

The best part about porting SLADE and SLumpEd is that it would entirely eliminate having to use those programs under Windows in a VM, and save Mac users the CPU time from concurrently running two OS's.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Doom and map editing are the reasons why my iMac is almost always booted into WinXP. This is excellent work; I really appreciate what you're doing here. :)

Return to “Tutorials”