Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am

I have always had fantasies about making a mod where you jump around with a rocket launcher being a total badass blowing shit up. dual smgs with grenade launchers. flying imp and zombieman bits everywhere. dashing around headbutting pinkies till their heads fucking explode. gojira blasting like hell in the background. just basically the most badass mod ever

Thu May 20, 2021 9:31 pm

3D Monster Maze seems like it could make for an excellent idea for a Doom mod. In fact, it could probably be a Wolf 3D mod, too.

Thu May 27, 2021 2:24 pm

I want to commission someone to edit Hellspawn 1.11 for me (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54133) to certain parameters. The edits I need for Hellspawn 1.11 seem simple but tedious (for me to do) so I am willing to reimburse the modder a little bit, nothing crazy, but just so you're not coming out with nothing. In the future I may be commissioning more mods. Don't hesitate to DM me if you are willing.

Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Small idea for mods with lots of weapon commands:

Make it so you have only one key called "Weapon Function".
Create a token for the weapons to check and define it on the gun states that:

Weapon Function + W (or your moving forward key) = Function 1
Weapon Function + S (or your moving backwards key) = Function 2
Weapon Function + A (or your moving left key) = Function 3
Weapon Function + D (or your moving right key) = Function 4

phantombeta brought an interesting point: the player might hit the wrong keys during stress, so it could be possible to add a delay that, if the player don't hold the keys for a short period of time, it goes back to idle.

In DECORATE, i achieved something like that with my Spawn: Path to Damnation mod. It goes like this:

Code:
WeaponFunction:
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)>0,"State1") //Move Left
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)<0,"State2") //Move Right
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)>0,"State3") //Move forward
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)<0,"State4") //Move backwards

instead of binding 4 keys, making 4 tokens to check, 4 ACS types, 4 differently named states to be mentioned, etc etc etc...
I usually would put these in a master weapon every other weapon inherits from. It might be much cleaner to redirect and understand (and the player might access them much easier, which is important).

Have fun.

Sat May 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Wondering
did anyone ever thought of doing a
Castlevania symphony of the night Familiars
companions mod?

https://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation/cvsotn/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/3665/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/3681/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/3707/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/3924/

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Small idea for mods with lots of weapon commands:

Make it so you have only one key called "Weapon Function".
Create a token for the weapons to check and define it on the gun states that:

Weapon Function + W (or your moving forward key) = Function 1
Weapon Function + S (or your moving backwards key) = Function 2
Weapon Function + A (or your moving left key) = Function 3
Weapon Function + D (or your moving right key) = Function 4

phantombeta brought an interesting point: the player might hit the wrong keys during stress, so it could be possible to add a delay that, if the player don't hold the keys for a short period of time, it goes back to idle.

In DECORATE, i achieved something like that with my Spawn: Path to Damnation mod. It goes like this:

Code:
WeaponFunction:
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)>0,"State1") //Move Left
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)<0,"State2") //Move Right
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)>0,"State3") //Move forward
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)<0,"State4") //Move backwards

instead of binding 4 keys, making 4 tokens to check, 4 ACS types, 4 differently named states to be mentioned, etc etc etc...
I usually would put these in a master weapon every other weapon inherits from. It might be much cleaner to redirect and understand (and the player might access them much easier, which is important).

Have fun.

I feel attacked - brutally and savagely, given no quarter, mercy, clemency, or retreat. Just absolutely despoiled and ravaged.

So, yeah, I definitely needed to see this idea - gonna play around with it in Malice and see if I can par down the nine weapon state functions to just five or so (Weapon States 1, 2, 3, and 4 should remain separate - although, I could also have directional inputs govern which type of melee attack is triggered by WS1; I could even assign the Quick Grenade to WS1+Directional Key Back, since there's no real reason to use a melee attack while backpedaling). Also, thank you for putting this out there - definitely inventive!

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm

I am glad you saw some use for it! Your Malice mod is a hell of an experience, hope this will be useful for you. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to specify how i achieved this code too; the core of it was made by willkuer in his Demon Slayer 1887 mod; it was originally used for a short dodge-strafe move for the fists. And i thought that was awesome.

EDIT 2: Hang on, don't take it as a direct mention! I just wanted to simplify stuff for modders :p

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 am

I've had this idea for awhile for a mod called "Flower power". The concept is that scattered on different textures and objects are flowers that can be used to give your weapons enchantments (Ex: more damage, life steal, ice damage, increased rate of fire, exploding bullets etc). The catch is that once you imbue a flower into a gun, you can no longer pick up ammo for that weapon until you use up all the ammo for that weapon which then destroys the flower. At this point, your weapon is vanilla and you can pick up ammo as well as imbue the gun with a new flower.

The big thing about this mod is that it would be a weapon mod that can be attached to other weapon mods. If you've played the mod "Champions" which adds random effects to enemies regardless if they're vanilla or not, "Flower Power" I picture being like that, but for guns.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:I am glad you saw some use for it! Your Malice mod is a hell of an experience, hope this will be useful for you. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to specify how i achieved this code too; the core of it was made by willkuer in his Demon Slayer 1887 mod; it was originally used for a short dodge-strafe move for the fists. And i thought that was awesome.

EDIT 2: Hang on, don't take it as a direct mention! I just wanted to simplify stuff for modders :p

I know - I probably should've put "/s" after the first sentence - I just felt like my mod (really, my mods in general) suffer from an overabundance of weapon function keys, and, thus, would be the perfect example of a mod that would directly benefit from this. :P

So, I came across this YouTube channel recently - a 3D animator who seems to work primarily on first-person weapon stuff. A lot of Hyper's videos feature very Sgt. Shivers-esque reloads and other absurdities, like this really big Glock:

So...yeah - a project revolving around Sgt. Shivers and HyperMetal101 reloads/weapon animations. Also, big Glock.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Well, I have too many ideas, but one I had thought out a little more then others that I'd like to throw out is a fishing item/equipment mod.

The premise is this mod lets a player use a fishing rod item to cast into pools of waste/lava/water to acquire fish that are used to supplement their general item gathering.

In example one fish would have tough leathery skin and increase armor by 50, another simply heals the player between 12-23, another is "filled with bullets" and gives the player a smattering of ammo not much unlike a backpack, while another gives a player short lived stealth & berzerk, but the powerups both are shorter then their normal contemporaries.

I think it would also be interesting if some enemies, primarily pinkies and specters (As they are melee and logically placed to be able to physically get to a player) were replaced by small "ponds" where the player can still cast their fishing rod into, which can let players fish for something if there is no pool of "liquid" around.

Edit: I forgot about the "Bait" that the game would have. My thought was that enemies would drop chunks of meat based on their hitpoints when they die, with the bait being the basic limiter on how much you can fish, also the size of the chunks of meat would be more common in "meaty" creatures with hit points over 100, with the largest ones with 1000 hit points or over having a good chance of dropping "prime bait" , which amounts to basically big, bloody organ parts then just generic flesh chunks that would guarantee catching something at least.

I have more ambitious thoughts about monsters randomly dropping parts to build actual fishing rods, but that may be a little too much for it's intended purpose.
Last edited by Shatter-Thought[V-4] on Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Vanilla like chainsaw & fists behavior as a mod.
So I have always wanted this, a while ago though to post it on Feature Suggestions forum because I would be easy for them to add in, but the devs said no, and they have valid reasons for it not to be part of the base source port because it can interfere with mods and such.
Graf Zahl wrote: GZDoom's weapon system is generic and generally has no interactions between different weapons. This "easy option" would add a considerable amount of mess to it.

and well yes, that is true, but I still can see it being a compactivity option, oh well

But then Nash suggested:~
Nash wrote:Could probably be added as part of a weapons mod.

And well thats the plan now, but one small problem, I have no idea how weapons or coding working for GZDoom like at all.
So here I am asking for help from someone who knows how it works to make that mod happen.

The reasons as to why I want this.
    Double taping 1 to check for berserk, its a force of habit by now and I can't seem to get ride of it.

In Summery:~ An Mod for chainsaw & fists, that if a player has a chainsaw, they cannot switch back to the fists, until the player get a berserk, then the player can have both.

And please just don't tell me to use more vanilla oriented source port like Crispy Doom and such,
Spoiler:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:50 pm

So i gotta a couple of these already.

actually put some of these together as gameplay mods for personal use that turned out surprisingly well.

-MSpaint style Wolfesntein Mod where you battle frownies not NAZIS. with goreless/humorous deaths (for my KIDS)

-Doom Style PUNISHER gameplay mod. with all Demons replaced by Marvel Villains. (like WW_Terrorirst but with Marvel stuff)

-Jagged alliance rogue like FPS where enemies drop random loot, probally with limited inventory system. against some fictionally evil army

-Humor/tongue in cheek Mod where you play as Doomguys Half/imp hybrid daughter after certain incident. that is set years after the demon war where Doomguy is now the President of the World/UAC and all remaining hellspawn live in ghettos. His daughter wants revenge/acknowledgement and fights through ranks of UAC till
the final boss Doomguy himself.

-Wolfendoom/BOA on a budget. my home PC is Deader then Dead so have to game on antique laptop with no OPENGL. limits me to Zdoom only style mods so anything that brings old school style while keeping specs low rates high with me.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 pm

This is a stupidly ambitious idea, but it's burning a hole in my brain so I'm throwing it out: Doom-Opoly, or Doom Monopoly.

The idea is that Doom Slayer and other characters are going through a "board" which is more a teleportation network hub, which has it's security system is on the fritz, only allowing players through each teleport-cell room from the result of a hack (etc dice roll) that opens only so many doors in one direction.

Each room, (save for the rooms that are equivalent to "treasure rooms" or "utility rooms" etc) will teleport a player to a room that is the "property" they are looking to take over, using a personal battery (Cash) to charge the teleporter if they can to get to the property and take down the enemies within.

The number of enemies, and size of the property rise in scale with the room's "value" , so the first one in example would just be not much bigger then a proverbial big janitor's closet with a lone zombieman, while the "boardwalk" room would be almost a small map in itself, with some dangerous creatures of the upper tiers, and maybe a caged cyberd-demon or spider mastermind that the player would crush at the end.

Players who land on a teleport-cell that is under the control of another player would be forced to expend so much energy to keep from being kicked out of the hub and locked out.

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Weapons mod idea:

All your weapons have infinite ammo (which gives room for more situational weapons and more items on ammo pickups),

BUT

The more you you use them, the worse they get, until they deal the minimal damage possible, and you must wait them for recharge in the background if you want to use them full power again (although you can still use them if you ever need to, no restrictions involved). Ammo pickups could help them recharge faster, OR some weapons could recharge faster than others.

Don't know what crossed my mind so i could have this idea. Hope someone makes a good use of it.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:10 pm

This idea is actually insane (now that I think about it a bit longer), and I hope I won't regret posting it:
Most doomers played the Hell Revealed megawads sometime during their journey, and while these megawads are iconic, they unfortunately start to show their age (the original Hell Revealed in particular).
So in the past few months I came up with an idea: a spiritual "sequel" to this series of megawads, but since I'm no mapper, I'll leave this here