Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 pm

I only noticed this minor visual bug when jumping from a 1080p monitor to 1440p with the following parameters:
    - Scale factor: 1.0
    - Status bar scale: 6 (or scale to fullscreen), 8
    - HUD preserves aspect ratio: true

The pixel row in-between the game view and status bar is part of the green border, and is most apparent against Doomguy's hand or other high contrast images.

I've observed it in GZDoom 4.5.0, g4.6pre-50-gd8164e005 (default config besides the parameter changes and texture filtering off), and even the earliest copy of GZDoom I had left (g2.3pre-196-gc3ced58). It seemed to only occur on all ZDoom based source ports I have, it didn't for example occur in PRBoom+.

It's probably the definition of nitpicky but it has driven me insane since I switched monitors.

GZDoom 4.5.0 (fullscreen/zoom in to see the gap)

PRBoom+ (no pixel gap)

Re: Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:18 am

I can reproduce this issue. "HUD preserves aspect ratio" must be enabled for the glitch to manifest, and it only happens with scales 8, 6, 3 and 1, as well as "Scale to fullscreen". Probably a rounding error of sorts.

Re: Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:11 am

It's a roundoff error with the scaling math. In this particular case the scaling for the botton just is a tad inaccurate and lands on the wrong coordinate. There's a few cases where this can happen, but trying to fudge it will break other sizes then.