[4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chp55vncstmgu ... .ipk3?dl=1

I can't make a minimal example because it requires a working IPK3 setup and all that jazz, but I notice some CVARs do not set properly.

Code:
gl_texture_filter 6

This one is definitely one that doesn't seem to work.

Is this by design or is this an oversight?

Re: [4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Global CVARs like gl_texture_filter will only change when launched from a fresh ini file. If you launch from an already existing ini file, nothing will change. This is by design, I suppose it is possible to change it to game-only if it exists in defcvars but I have no idea how the engine would react to that (like would it remove the user's own global default, or would it even bother reading a local game-only value) - and in worst case scenario, how to address it.

The best way to address gl_texture_filter, specifically, though, in my opinion, is make it game-only, or to use a separate CVAR if an IWAD defines itself as having high resolution textures. Some games actually look better with trilinear filtering (oh god I just committed sacrilege by saying that) - Games with textures that are made with Doom's extreme low resolution scale happen to be the ones that don't. :)

Re: [4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:31 pm

I see, so it is kind of a by design choice... well, not so much, but rather how things are currently set up.

That's unfortunate, because we're noticing some settings look good by default with certain settings and was wondering if it'd be easy to just use DEFCVARS.