Project repository: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix-It-
Playthrough playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... S6SULqbq5YRC1 Download: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC1Participants:
E1M2: kevansevans Download
E1M3: leodoom85 Download
E1M4: Dewzanity Download
E1M5: FishyClockwork Download
E1M6: YukiHerz Download
E1M7: Rachael Download
E1M8: Vostyok Download
E1M9: Wivicer is finalizing their additions...
E1M10 and more? Maybe!
Let's imagine it's 1993 again and you're at your work computer at id Software, three days before the deadline of Doom being released. You're clacking away at your keyboard when you feel a tap on your shoulder, you turn around to see a very angry John Romero. He throws a floppy at your chest and shouts "You fix it, I quit!" and leaves the building. Everyone else stares at you a bit shocked at what had just happened.
Imagine if you were tasked with "fixing" E1M1. Not a prototype, not an unfinished or incomplete version, not an alternative universe where Tom Hall or Sandy Peterson made E1M1. The E1M1 we got, and you had to "fix it". The goal here is to take an already finished map, and build on top of it like your boss demanded you to. Changing it how you see fit until you're satisfied with the results...
..And then pass that map you just made onto someone else, making it their turn to "fix it". Yes, you have to give your map to someone else and they are required to perform changes to it. The end result would be a series of maps that progressively change over time, maybe even invoking a sense of deja-vu. The last map resulting in such a dramatic change, it'd be a night and day difference comparing it to E1M1. As the submissions go further, it will get easier to make more dramatic and absurd changes, so anyone who wants to do something more grand, it'll be best to wait for a later spot.
or, tl;dr we're pulling a E3M1 -> E3M9 except we keep doing that for the whole set of maps.Requirements
- Provide a "fixed" map of the previous entry
- Provide a .txt file explaining your changes
- Ultimate Doom IWAD
- Have a map ready in 3 days.
- Have fun!DO:
- Make any changes that you see fit!
- Add things!
- Remove things!
- Improve things!
- Make things harder!
- Make things easier!
- Inform the previous mapper(s) of any bugs that need to be fixed.
- Fix those bugs yourself in your map.
- Respect the difficulty curve.
- Communicate with the mappers picking up after you.Do not:
- Be lazy.
- Change things so much that your map is unrecognizable from the previous
- Add extremely dramatic changes that makes it harder for the next mapper to work with
- Deliberately make "awful" changes
- Deliberately give broken maps. The point isn't that the maps are literally broken or unfinished.May I ...?
- Add custom textures? Yes!
- Add custom enemies? Yes!
- Add custom Weapons that use existing ammo types? Yes!
- Change the map format? Yes!
- Work with some buddies on the same entry? Yes!
- Fix bugs in my map after submission? Yes!
- Use light scripting? Yes!
- Make a secret map? Maybe!*
- Use the E1M1 slot? No!
- Add custom Weapons that use new ammo types that future mappers would have to also use to balance things? No!
- Make big changes to my map after submission? No!**
- Start with a different existing map, I don't like E1M1! No!***
- Make my level rely so hard on custom content that it can't reasonably function without them? No!
- Change earlier maps to accommodate my own? No! Why would you do this to begin with?Signing up!
Due to the nature of this project, maps can only be accomplished one by one. So signups will be on a first come first serve basis. On day three of your turn, I'll pester you for a .wad and a .txt. Unless told in advanced there might be difficulties, failure to have a map ready in 3 days means we'll skip you! Please don't abuse this. We'll keep this going until people get tired and or give up. End goal would probably be 7 maps and 1 secret. The text file expected does not have to be ready in 3 days, take as much time as you need, but please have it ready before we all finish.Addendums: *
The secret map slot may be bestowed upon someone who thinks they can "plutonia-fy" the last map, aka turn the last map in the project into a GO2IT. If it comes to the point we want a secret map, extra time will be granted to collaborate with the volunteer to make the map, and the last mapper so they can add a secret exit. If the last mapper isn't willing to add a secret exit, then the mapper making the secret level may also work on their own map to work as the last entry with an added secret exit.**
Obviously the definition of a "big change" is subjective, but you ideally do not want to make a change that gives the impression the next map maker did not work off of the same map as the one in the end. Please only go back to make minor changes that don't largely affect the next.***
This is actually a maybe. If the project ends up popular enough, we can maybe let people coordinate more branches. Maybe even make a hub of all the "fixed" branches, idk.
Last edited by kevansevans on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 36 times in total.