CrusaDoom (Alpha 2.0) [Co-Mappers Wanted]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
P.Rex
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

CrusaDoom (Alpha 2.0) [Co-Mappers Wanted]

Post by P.Rex »

cdlogo.jpg

Latest public release: Alpha 2.0 (Jan.27 2021)

What is this project?

CrusaDoom is a partial conversion mod for Doom 2, inspired by the Crusader series of games developed in the mid 1990s by Origin Systems. This mod is both an unofficial sequel to the Crusader games and a crossover with Doom. Following right off the ending of Crusader: No Regret, this game puts you in the shoes of the crimson-clad Silencer, who returns from his victory over the tyrannical World Economic Consortium's lunar mining base back to Earth, only to find the planet ravaged by a demonic invasion. Now you must fight both the demon invaders and the WEC soldiers and robots which now serve them, find out the source of the invasion and rid the planet of corruption once and for all.

Features:

*A whole new campaign of maps, bringing the unique aesthetic of the Crusader games into Doom.
*Many of Crusader's gameplay gimmicks have been recreated here, including interactive objects, destructible scenery, loot boxes (the good kind) and more.
*A wide variety of enemies, both old and new- from the standard Doom demons to WEC zombies, turrets and robots!

Screenshots:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/crusadoom/images

I am looking for co-mappers!

While I'm doing the majority of the work on this mod by myself (from creating custom assets and maps to gameplay and scripting), I'd love to see what some of the talented creators in this community can do with the assets I provide. If you love making Doom maps and want to create something for this mod, let me know and I'll DM you an invite to my Discord server.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: CrusaDoom (Alpha 2.0) [Co-Mappers Wanted]

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Oh man! Ever since I bought Crusader: No Remorse on GOG, I so desperately wanted to love the game because of its setting, story and music, but alas I just find it unplayable because of the unintuitive tank controls. As such, I have been wishing for someone to remake the game as a first-person shooter, ideally a Doom total conversion; this is partly why I am still willing to suffer through Dark Tartaru5's extreme difficulty, as it features Crusader's amazing soundtrack. It looks like my prayers have finally been heard! :D

However, because of the scope of the project, I would have started small, first with a Crusader weapons pack that can be played in vanilla Doom maps.
P.Rex

Post by P.Rex »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Oh man! Ever since I bought Crusader: No Remorse on GOG, I so desperately wanted to love the game because of its setting, story and music, but alas I just find it unplayable because of the unintuitive tank controls. As such, I have been wishing for someone to remake the game as a first-person shooter, ideally a Doom total conversion; this is partly why I am still willing to suffer through Dark Tartaru5's extreme difficulty, as it features Crusader's amazing soundtrack. It looks like my prayers have finally been heard! :D

However, because of the scope of the project, I would have started small, first with a Crusader weapons pack that can be played in vanilla Doom maps.
Can understand being put off by the tank controls. I got used to them and loved the game to bits, but I can understand it's not for everyone. That's why I thought an FPS Crusader game should gain some interest.

Regarding the scope of the project: I'm not sure you followed. Read the description- I am, in fact, not trying to recreate the original "Crusader: No Remorse" within GZDoom. That would be insane. I'm taking the series in a new direction. When asking for co-mappers I ask for people who are willing to make their own original maps using the assets I provide, not carbon copies of the existing Crusader maps.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I got that part. I guess I am just more interested in a recreation of Crusader's arsenal, as Doom's vanilla weapons strike me as a bit underwhelming for a mod based on a game like Crusader.

I am still going to pay close attention to this project. If worse comes to worst, I guess I can always load up the mapset with a weapons mod to spice things up! :wink:
P.Rex

Post by P.Rex »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I got that part. I guess I am just more interested in a recreation of Crusader's arsenal, as Doom's vanilla weapons strike me as a bit underwhelming for a mod based on a game like Crusader.

I am still going to pay close attention to this project. If worse comes to worst, I guess I can always load up the mapset with a weapons mod to spice things up! :wink:
Regarding weapons: I considered trying to recreate some of Crusader's weapons but honestly I found them a bit uninspiring. They already have very close equivalents in games such as Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D and I didn't want to just essentially copy those. Additionally, I wanted to keep the campaign compatible with gameplay mods- DN3Doom is one I recommend for example, as Duke's mighty boot comes in handy for opening chests (keep in mind however that Brutal Doom and Project Brutality will not work properly in this mod). I am overall more interested in creating maps than guns, personally, and working on the first two maps for the campaign has been great exercise for me.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

That is perfectly understandable! :wink:

But no, I did not have Brutal Doom in mind. Truth be told, I have not even played that one in a while. :?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”