BIOSHOCK - (NEW! The Voices of Rapture - August 2023)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Caleb377

BIOSHOCK - (NEW! The Voices of Rapture - August 2023)

Post by Caleb377 »

-= Bioshock =-

To build Rapture in the GZDoom Engine! Insanity.
But where else could I waste all this free time in the clutching hands of the quarantine?
Where else could I build a mod that could run on a phone, even if it's really hard to control?

It was not impossible to build Rapture with the GZDoom Engine.
It was impossible to build it anywhere else...

Well, perhaps also in Minecraft...
yeah, maybe Minecraft.

So I give you.. RAPTURE!

So yeah, great but... what is this all about:

Update:
The Mod's date has been changed to March,1959.
My main reason for this is that according to Rapture's Timeline, Big Daddies & Little Sisters
where only introduced to the city at the start of that year.
https://bioshock.fandom.com/wiki/Rapture_Timeline#1959
There's no point in having a Bioshock Mod without such iconic characters, therefore the date was moved.

Now you are a citizen caught up in the middle of Rapture's civil war, trying to decide if you side with Ryan, join Atlas or try to escape and leave the city.
The Map is already an open world Hub, where you can visit several locations that are mentioned or referenced in game but never
explored, plus some new ones. The Palmetto Building, Happy Noodle Restaurant, etc.
Multiple endings are planned (with at least four that I'm sure I can pull off...)

I want to thank everyone that contacted me regarding the project,
As well as all the forum users I bothered with this nonsense, the general response has been amazing and way better than I hoped.
Also cosider this an invite for anyone that wants to join in and contribute.

-= Screenshots =-
001.jpg
002.jpg
004.jpg
If you want to see more screenshots:
https://www.deviantart.com/akumafer/gal ... 21593/mods

-= Extra Details =-

- I'm using no 3D models or Voxels.
- No Labels (I love the GZDoom engine, but hate the way those things work)
- The TV Screens cycle ads randomly (Thanks to GZDoom's Magic)
- Dynamic Lights, Brightmaps, materials, etc are all implemented.
- It even runs on my phone (a mid to low range, "Samsung A50") so it's not very demanding.

The amazing restored artwork was created by: Spetit5
https://www.deviantart.com/spetit05/gal ... ck-project
I contacted the artist and he allowed me to include the posters! :D

All advice is welcomed,
Thanks.

Map 02 Video (August 3rd, 2020)

Map 03 Video (November 24th, 2020) I'll try and post progress updates more often.

Enemies Showcase (February 27th, 2021) All enemies were created by "Cherno" who I can't thank enough for making this crazy idea a viable one.

"Splicers Mambo" (Yeah, I know... I know :roll: ) (September 16th, 2021)

Progress showcase (June 29th, 2022)

The Voices of Rapture (August 12, 2023)
Last edited by Caleb377 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Enjay

Re: BIOSHOCK

Post by Enjay »

Looks very neat.

Just so you know, your video is set so that it can't be watched from within the forum:

Caleb377

Post by Caleb377 »

Sorry, amateur move.
I forgot to check the box, "Allow Embedding"
it should work now.
JuliusKoolius

Post by JuliusKoolius »

Look's pretty cool from what I have seen. I only have one question, will there be enemies?
Techy_koi

Post by Techy_koi »

this the EFFFING AWESOME!!! dude you've made Rapture (albeit not a 1 by 1 scale but nontheless) this is epic and cant wait for a Demo or sorts, keep it up ma dude!!!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

The look of this is pretty much "what if BioShock had been made using the Dark Engine" (used for Third 1 & 2 and System Shock 2). Love it!
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

I want to play .... pleaaaaaase
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

I have a small channel and would love to show this .my channel is dedicated to show every mod playable on Android Delta touch..
And this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
Caleb377

Post by Caleb377 »

JuliusKoolius wrote:Look's pretty cool from what I have seen. I only have one question, will there be enemies?
Yes, I'm focusing on the map and new artwork for the city. Without new enemies and weapons it wouldn't be much of an FPS, Doom Mod.
I didn't mention much about it because I have nothing to show right now.
My idea is that you start working for Ryan hunting down smugglers, the city will be populated
(Like in Strife) if you attack an inocent citizen alarms go off and security drones hunt you down.
For now that is only an idea of what type of enemies you will encounter, latter on you'll find Big Daddies, Little Sisters, etc. If I can figure out how to make them.
Last edited by Caleb377 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb377

Post by Caleb377 »

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:I have a small channel and would love to show this .my channel is dedicated to show every mod playable on Android Delta touch..
And this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
Thanks, for now I don't think there's enough to release a demo, many things need to be added and optimized.
As soon as there's actual gameplay I'll let you know, It will be great to see it posted on your channel.
Nash

Post by Nash »

The mapping work is impressive, it really is a very well-done "demake" of Rapture - you've nailed the architecture and textures for sure, as well as the overall art direction and colour palette. Most impressive indeed.

My only suggestion is to add much more clutter - Rapture is a collapsed society after all. There should be visual noise everywhere - rubble, broken things on the floor everywhere, grunge decals and damage on walls, etc. Right now it looks too clean, it's like society is still up and running. :P

You can use either sprites or flat models to add visual noise.

Oh, and one criticism, though I understand this is still very very very early proof of concept, but I figured worth mentioning anyway - lighting contrast needs to be improved. Lighting looks flat right now, outside a few dynamic lights thrown here and there. The difference between light and dark needs to be accentuated; look into doing some sector-based shadow-work, in addition to crafting more stark contrast with dynamic lights.

Further down the line, you can look into adding fancy shader-based water effects - what is Rapture without water leaking everywhere!

Keep up the good work!
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Nash wrote: My only suggestion is to add much more clutter - Rapture is a collapsed society after all. There should be visual noise everywhere - rubble, broken things on the floor everywhere, grunge decals and damage on walls, etc. Right now it looks too clean, it's like society is still up and running. :P
Caleb377 wrote: The idea is that you arrive in Rapture when the city is at it's peak, (March, 1956 to be precise) preparing to celebrate the 10th anniversary of it's fundation.
:3:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ah, I missed reading that. Was just looking at the images. I still stand by my suggestions to add more lighting and visual contrast, it looks too bare and clean, even if this was just a normal Doom map (IMO of course).
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

JP Le Breton made a Cacoward winning demake of Arcadia and Farmer's Market for Doom 2, shown here.

Commentary on how this was made is here.
Caleb377

Post by Caleb377 »

Nash wrote:My only suggestion is to add much more clutter - Rapture is a collapsed society after all. There should be visual noise everywhere - rubble, broken things on the floor everywhere, grunge decals and damage on walls, etc. Right now it looks too clean, it's like society is still up and running. :P

You can use either sprites or flat models to add visual noise.

Oh, and one criticism, though I understand this is still very very very early proof of concept, but I figured worth mentioning anyway - lighting contrast needs to be improved. Lighting looks flat right now, outside a few dynamic lights thrown here and there. The difference between light and dark needs to be accentuated; look into doing some sector-based shadow-work, in addition to crafting more stark contrast with dynamic lights.

Further down the line, you can look into adding fancy shader-based water effects - what is Rapture without water leaking everywhere!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks I agree completely, even if the city is supposed to be "at its best" a complete lack of clutter/dirt or water problems will make it look too tidy and artificial.
The lighting is less than preliminary as I only changed it from the default 192 to 100 and added the dynamic lights, so it will not look like this on the final product.

I've seen and downloaded some crazy good water effects in the form of both shaders and textures but adding them like in the tunnels or windows only is tricky, I'm new to this engine so I still have to learn a lot to pull that off.

Thanks for the feedback, please let me know if you have any suggestions to create the wavy effect when looking at the sea surface.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”