Satanic Infestation Open IWAD Project

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sergeirocks100
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Satanic Infestation Open IWAD Project

Post by sergeirocks100 »

Welcome to the Satanic Infestation project!

INTRODUCTION:

Satanic Infestation is my fork of Freedoom, because i disagree with the way it’s going, the project seems to go in a lot of strange directions that don't go well with a Doom or Doom 2 IWAD replacement, all of the references to Satanism are gone, a lot of the new assets go in odd directions that don't mesh all that well, and it generally doesn’t capture the vibe of what i think a open IWAD should be.

My goal is to make a 100% free IWAD that is a better fit for what i think an open IWAD should be, the assets will all be more cohesive and make more sense with third party PWADs, i’m only using Freedoom as a basis, as time goes on, i will replace more and more of Freedoom’s assets with my own, and, eventually, all of the old assets will be replaced, anybody is free to contribute assets, but i plan for this to be more or less something of my own making, further details on rules and other information about asset contributions can be found below.

Credits go to the Freedoom contributors for making it easier for me to do this project by providing their assets, thank you to them, and thanks in advance to anybody who submits their work to this project

SUBMISSION RULES:
Spoiler:
LINKS:

Github: https://github.com/sergeirocks100/satanicinfestation
Development Forum: http://satanicinfestation.tk/forum/index.php
Screenshots: http://satanicinfestation.tk/screenshots.html
Last edited by sergeirocks100 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Re: Satanic Infestation Open IWAD Project

Post by openroadracer »

I saw links to this over on the FreeDOOM Discord. I'm sorry to say, but I agree with them: This likely won't get anywhere. FreeDOOM already exists, and there's also The People's Doom if that doesn't suit your tastes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

openroadracer wrote:FreeDOOM already exists, and there's also The People's Doom if that doesn't suit your tastes.
And, unfortunately, both of those have ground almost to a halt too. Neither have a full set of completed sprites despite being in development for many years and current activity is minimal (and what there is often seems like bikeshedding).

It would be nice to see any of these projects getting to a stage where they have a full set of resources that could be classed as "good enough to be called final" but that seems to be a long way off. I understand the difficulties but that doesn't change the fact that none have reached that point or look like they are going to any time soon.
sergeirocks100

Post by sergeirocks100 »

openroadracer wrote:I saw links to this over on the FreeDOOM Discord. I'm sorry to say, but I agree with them: This likely won't get anywhere. FreeDOOM already exists, and there's also The People's Doom if that doesn't suit your tastes.
As long as i'm working on this, it's going somewhere, even if it takes me 10 or 15 years, i will not stop working on this until it's finished.

Freedoom and The People's Doom both aren't to my satisfaction, Freedoom has quite a bit of inconsistency with its assets, and it's not very fun to play by itself, but at least it does its job well as a open replacement for Doom.

The People's Doom has a large amount of missing assets, it has no proper license at all, and there are quite a few changes with it that make it incompatible with most third party PWADs, such as the new palette and the planned gameplay changes through Dehacked.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

it is a good project and a noble goal

but I would prefer a project that is aimed at gzdoom and is a limit removing IWAD or IPK3
sergeirocks100

Post by sergeirocks100 »

CBM wrote:it is a good project and a noble goal

but I would prefer a project that is aimed at gzdoom and is a limit removing IWAD or IPK3
i am actually planning to do a GZDoom version of the project after the main version is complete, and the main version of the project is limit removing
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Based on what I have observed from FreeDoom and People's Doom, the maps are not the main issue as far as getting stuff done is concerned.

Things seem to get done like this (and the reasons are pretty obvious):

One-off lumps seem to get done quickly and easily.

Sounds are next with flats and simple sprites (pickups, columns etc) getting done at a similar pace.

Textures take a bit longer than flats simply because there are more of them and some are a bit more complicated in appearance.

Maps fit in there somewhere too - usually being made in parallel with the above items. The Doom community has a lot of mappers. It can be time consuming but we, as a group, churn out loads of them every year.

The real stumbling block is the enemy sprites. Spriting of that type takes a particular skill set; is very time consuming and hundreds of images are required. This is where the other projects have failed to get a complete set (and why hi-res sprite projects etc also trip and fall). Look at the sprites available from Realm667 and so on. There are very few completely original from scratch sprites even after so many years.

I would suggest that everything that I listed before the enemy sprites can and would be done pretty quickly and, therefore, they are not the issue. Getting the full enemy sprite set is, in my opinion, the key to getting a full project done. Enemy sprites are the bottleneck for any project like this.

Therefore, I would suggest that debating map formats and getting maps done (and so on), while important, should really not be the priority. Without a full sprite set, the maps will be populated with shonky-looking placeholder sprites, lust like in FreeDoom and People's Doom and, if that happens, the project will have very little advantage over them.
sergeirocks100

Post by sergeirocks100 »

Enjay wrote:Based on what I have observed from FreeDoom and People's Doom, the maps are not the main issue as far as getting stuff done is concerned.

Things seem to get done like this (and the reasons are pretty obvious):

One-off lumps seem to get done quickly and easily.

Sounds are next with flats and simple sprites (pickups, columns etc) getting done at a similar pace.

Textures take a bit longer than flats simply because there are more of them and some are a bit more complicated in appearance.

Maps fit in there somewhere too - usually being made in parallel with the above items. The Doom community has a lot of mappers. It can be time consuming but we, as a group, churn out loads of them every year.

The real stumbling block is the enemy sprites. Spriting of that type takes a particular skill set; is very time consuming and hundreds of images are required. This is where the other projects have failed to get a complete set (and why hi-res sprite projects etc also trip and fall). Look at the sprites available from Realm667 and so on. There are very few completely original from scratch sprites even after so many years.

I would suggest that everything that I listed before the enemy sprites can and would be done pretty quickly and, therefore, they are not the issue. Getting the full enemy sprite set is, in my opinion, the key to getting a full project done. Enemy sprites are the bottleneck for any project like this.

Therefore, I would suggest that debating map formats and getting maps done (and so on), while important, should really not be the priority. Without a full sprite set, the maps will be populated with shonky-looking placeholder sprites, lust like in FreeDoom and People's Doom and, if that happens, the project will have very little advantage over them.
i already have a couple of enemy sprites contributed, although i may have to get rid of them as they have no license attached to them, i am currently working on drawing up some sprites, which is one of the reasons why the project has been slow lately
sergeirocks100

Post by sergeirocks100 »

I should state that i have a thread over at doomworld at https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... eing-held/, you may have to look at both forum threads to remain up to date with the current state of the project.

But i must warn, there are quite a lot of posts in the earlier pages that aren't representative of the current state of the project.
Wereknight

Post by Wereknight »

openroadracer wrote:and there's also The People's Doom
We are on da board of thy ship, yaaaarrrr!!!
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

personally even if this doesn't get finished, it can still be an interesting project to look back to, specially if atleast some stuff gets made for it, but imho, I do wish it gets finished, I don't mind a "alternative" for Freedoom existing, one criticism I'll give tho is the concept art for the Baron and Knight replacements, I feel they are too similar, perhaps you could, instead of making them humanoid "Goats",you could make them humanoid "Horses" similar to the Ars Goetia demon "Orobas", and maybe different projectile colors too, but that's just an idea I guess...
EDIT : also if I knew 3D modelling I'd try to contribute (making 2D monster sprites by hand is paaaain lol, most of the time I work with a "base" so I'm not too used to doing stuff from scratch)
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

sergeirocks100 wrote: As long as i'm working on this, it's going somewhere, even if it takes me 10 or 15 years, i will not stop working on this until it's finished.

That is something I rly respect.

___

BTW, I'm afraid the only thing I could contribute is with a few maps. If it counts... :)
CBM

Post by CBM »

sergeirocks100 wrote:
CBM wrote:it is a good project and a noble goal

i am actually planning to do a GZDoom version of the project after the main version is complete, and the main version of the project is limit removing
Ok. Well count me in when you begin the gzdoom version.. I can help with :

Mapping
Static 3D models
Scripting

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”