SIREN | v0.85

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: SIREN TC | v0.4

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Ok nevermind..the downloaded version is 0.4 ..strange but ok
DitheredOutput

Re: SIREN TC | v0.41

Post by DitheredOutput »

Tiny bump to 0.41
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ys2gc- ... sp=sharing

I should have included these weapon pickup sprites in 0.4

Aside from a tiny bugfix Absolutely not worth downloading over 0.4
Ferretmanjcdenton

DoomwithaView wrote:Tiny bump to 0.41
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ys2gc- ... sp=sharing

I should have included these weapon pickup sprites in 0.4

Aside from a tiny bugfix Absolutely not worth downloading over 0.4

Is it possible that it became more demanding over the course of the last 2 updates ?
When I take the elevator down from the big room my Snapdragon 855 smartphone gives me 5fps when I look AT the elevator..

On my Snapdragon 865+ it's playable but also far away from 60fps
Ferretmanjcdenton

Any chance you create a LITE version ? If that's even possible?
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:Any chance you create a LITE version ? If that's even possible?
Now I've pretty much finished the first level, I'll have a go at snipping a few features to see if it can be done. There's a new skybox above the elevator that probably doesn't help and there's definitely a few other things I can think of.

I think the main performance drain seems to be caused by the elevator being a portal, and that's not something I can change too easily. Watch this space.
Ferretmanjcdenton

First I wanna say thanks for answering EVERYTIME..

I have no knowledge of modding ...I only can tell you that I have mods like
Total chaos ,hurt, project brutality , survive ,call of Abdulov,hunters moon with maps and many more which all are extremely demanding and those work fine ..also what portals you mean ? The ones where you step down a few steps and it looks like it's a real staircase ? Why are these so demanding?
And other than that ..why you use them for an elevator?

Another question..how much maps you want to make ?
This mod is so damn detailed and looks so amazing..I can only guess how much work it is to create these maps .. absolutely amazing and thanks again
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:First I wanna say thanks for answering EVERYTIME..

Total chaos ,hurt, project brutality , survive ,call of Abdulov,hunters moon with maps and many more which all are extremely demanding and those work fine ..also what portals you mean ? The ones where you step down a few steps and it looks like it's a real staircase ? Why are these so demanding?

This mod is so damn detailed and looks so amazing..I can only guess how much work it is to create these maps .. absolutely amazing and thanks again
The short answer to performance related questions is: I don't really know! I'm pretty new to GZDoom and I'm not a developer by profession.

From what I've picked up on these forums is that heavy use of 'lines' that create detail can cause performance issues. There's a reasonable amount of these in the geometry and then quite a lot used to create shadows.

As I understand it, games like Total Chaos look amazing and perform great is because all the detail is in the textures themselves. I also think there's a perception that 3D models cost more in performance than sprites which I don't think is necessarily the case.

Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong that affects performance?

The portal is used to create the illusion that one room is below another as Doom mapping does not allow true 3D constructions like that. I can't find any concrete information that affirms that this is a performance drain but with framerate drops occuring when it is in view, I think it's a safe bet. The engine is essentially calculating the room you are in and the room it can see through the portal at the same time.

If i'd have just put the elevator at the end of the room and have it lower down to another room without the illusion of it being underneath it would be fine.

This is my first map and, performance considerations can be carried over into the next.

As far as number of levels, I have plans for 6 reasonably large levels. I'm absolutely loving making this mod so after that I'm sure more can be made.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

I see some perfomance gains using this: SIREN LITE https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eR60Sx ... sp=sharing
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

DoomwithaView wrote:

The short answer to performance related questions is: I don't really know! I'm pretty new to GZDoom and I'm not a developer by profession.

From what I've picked up on these forums is that heavy use of 'lines' that create detail can cause performance issues. There's a reasonable amount of these in the geometry and then quite a lot used to create shadows.

As I understand it, games like Total Chaos look amazing and perform great is because all the detail is in the textures themselves. I also think there's a perception that 3D models cost more in performance than sprites which I don't think is necessarily the case.

Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong that affects performance?

The portal is used to create the illusion that one room is below another as Doom mapping does not allow true 3D constructions like that. I can't find any concrete information that affirms that this is a performance drain but with framerate drops occuring when it is in view, I think it's a safe bet. The engine is essentially calculating the room you are in and the room it can see through the portal at the same time.

If i'd have just put the elevator at the end of the room and have it lower down to another room without the illusion of it being underneath it would be fine.

This is my first map and, performance considerations can be carried over into the next.

As far as number of levels, I have plans for 6 reasonably large levels. I'm absolutely loving making this mod so after that I'm sure more can be made.
I didn't have the time yet to test this version yet. But reading about the elevator part: Wouldn't be a provitional fix making the elevator closed? I think it is a quick way to fix the issue, but not sure.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Leglock wrote: I didn't have the time yet to test this version yet. But reading about the elevator part: Wouldn't be a provitional fix making the elevator closed? I think it is a quick way to fix the issue, but not sure.
I was referring to the circular elevator in the middle of the room that takes you down to the next part of the level. I guess it is as closed as it can be or do you mean close it after you go down?
Either way it still causes that weird 3rd person doom guy glitch when you walk over it in the upper room.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

DoomwithaView wrote:
Leglock wrote: I didn't have the time yet to test this version yet. But reading about the elevator part: Wouldn't be a provitional fix making the elevator closed? I think it is a quick way to fix the issue, but not sure.
I was referring to the circular elevator in the middle of the room that takes you down to the next part of the level. I guess it is as closed as it can be or do you mean close it after you go down?
Either way it still causes that weird 3rd person doom guy glitch when you walk over it in the upper room.
I know, Maybe you can add a circular wall around it to prevent the player to see "both floors". Adding a pseudo door that close the upper part could help (it opens if you take the elevator again, which is unlikely).
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

👍I think I've found away around this portal issue. It might not be a complete performance fix but it should help. It will also get rid of a few little glitches that it caused.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

That smoke monster. Have you by any chance played The Solus Project?
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Serathis wrote:That smoke monster. Have you by any chance played The Solus Project?
I haven't. Looks great though! Yeah, the smoke monster looks pretty similar from what I've seen. I'd say the graphics are better in this mod though :P
Ferretmanjcdenton

I see some perfomance gains using this: SIREN LITE https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eR60Sx ... sp=sharing[/quote]

Thanks a lot ..I'll try it directly..

As for 3d models ..I also don't believe those cause many issues ..
I just played ASCENSION the really big RPG mod for doom and it has dozens of 3d models in each map /level (if you can call it that cause it's kinda open world with different sections)
And it works almost perfect on my slower sd855
It has an extreme amount of grass and other environment details what causes some lag but it's definitely playable .(I'll upload a video tomorrow and also have one up already ..you know my channel )
May I ask ..what is with 3d floors. .I heard those might cause problems ...
Also cut out shaders if use even use those (Maybe for the plants?)
But like I said. The most problems are the big room and the elevator under that one ..

Also ..what are your plans ? I hope we see much much more of siren TC ..
It's a really amazing piece of art ..

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”