The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0 released

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
r&r

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC1

Post by r&r »

r&r wrote:I would say if the 2nd one does get a remaster make it weapon mod friendly as I would like to use the Ultra-Crispy weapon mod for that map
r&r wrote:The problem here is that I really need input from other people then. I am not using weapon mods myself and tbh, I have no idea what things need to be set to make them work with TCotD2.
Well a optional addon patch would work,
I think if you just remove the weapons in the map
and set them as generic doom weapons,
so other weapon mods can replace the doom weapons.

But i'm not a modder and I don't know how this map was coded.
i'm just guessing
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Tormentor667 wrote: For most of the maps I have planned just that: Nitpicks, fixes, little improvements on things that I would do differently today. In TCotD2 I want to add polyobject doors on various places, improve the egg-moon (how do I do that anyway?), make it widescreen compatible and do some final touches to make it more all of a piece.
The thing with the moon is that you are having a flat image that's being projected from a cube onto a sphere. Ideally the moon should be in the middle of one of the skybox faces, but you'll have to place it higher so you may have to play around with a graphics editor, centering it horizontally and stretch/squash it until it appears round in the game.

Tormentor667 wrote:for Stronghold, it will be more complex because of the nature of this mod. So, if anyone is interested in helping me out, feel free to commit to the repo. :)
What's your plans here? I never managed to play through it because it wore me down too fast, I wonder what could be done here to make it less of a chore - maybe add a skill level that limits the play time in each level?
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Tormentor667 wrote: In TCotD2 I want to add polyobject doors on various places, improve the egg-moon (how do I do that anyway?), make it widescreen compatible and do some final touches to make it more all of a piece.
I'd say that the last boss was hard but my main issue was to me that the last boss wasn't interesting, because considering how much this mod borrowed from Blood I thought the final boss would look scarier, and just found this big guy who likes trowhing missiles around which I have already seen thousand of times and that was kinda dissapointing.

And the revolver sprite if I recall correctly was really blurry and low quality, some update to the weapon sprites would be nice.
Also the textures where taken from ZBlood doesn't it ? I could remember it wrong but I remember the textures beign washed away by the Doom pallete, using the original textures with the original pallete would be better but this is less of an issue than the last boss and the weapon sprites.

Everything else is pretty much to me an example of how to make good horror without relying in jumpscares or cheap tactics.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nash wrote:Shouldn't the chandeliers be new actors? This reeks of a time where decorations had to be replaced from a small pool of existing ones from the base game. If you ask me, this is exactly the scope of work a remaster should warrant. :mrgreen:
That would be the reasonable improvement yes, but at the moment I try to concentrate on improving things that I always wanted to improve for a better experience. It doesn't directly matter how it is done in the background :)
Graf Zahl wrote:The thing with the moon is that you are having a flat image that's being projected from a cube onto a sphere. Ideally the moon should be in the middle of one of the skybox faces, but you'll have to place it higher so you may have to play around with a graphics editor, centering it horizontally and stretch/squash it until it appears round in the game.
Do you think this could be solved by removing the moon from the skybox and putting it as an actor into the physical sector in the map? If yes, what billboard should I use?
Graf Zahl wrote:What's your plans here? I never managed to play through it because it wore me down too fast, I wonder what could be done here to make it less of a chore - maybe add a skill level that limits the play time in each level?
That's something that I want to improve. Some of the later levels are extremely long and time-consuming without giving away more than what you have already encountered. I thought about changing the waves instead of making complicated changes - something like your proposal is simply not possible to do with my limited ACS knowledge. Or do you have other ideas?
Dude27th wrote:I'd say that the last boss was hard but my main issue was to me that the last boss wasn't interesting, because considering how much this mod borrowed from Blood I thought the final boss would look scarier, and just found this big guy who likes trowhing missiles around which I have already seen thousand of times and that was kinda dissapointing.
I will take care of this and try to make the final battle more interesting.
Dude27th wrote:And the revolver sprite if I recall correctly was really blurry and low quality, some update to the weapon sprites would be nice.
Also the textures where taken from ZBlood doesn't it ? I could remember it wrong but I remember the textures beign washed away by the Doom pallete, using the original textures with the original pallete would be better but this is less of an issue than the last boss and the weapon sprites.
Regarding the textures, it's the same problem with TCotD1 already. Replacing all the textures with their corresponding Blood originals is so time consuming that I think it's not worth the effort to be honest. Regarding the revolver I am open for a better looking replacement though if you have a suggestion?
Dude27th wrote:Everything else is pretty much to me an example of how to make good horror without relying in jumpscares or cheap tactics.
Thanks kindly for the words :)
Tormentor667

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC2

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sorry for the double post but RC2 has just been released and should be pretty much finished. Looking forward to your tests and let me know if you find something awkward, otherwise this will end up as the final release of 2.0 - and I hope you guys like it :)
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

I've been playing city of the damned - Apocalypse for a long time. I liked this wad on the grounds of Blood. The City of the Damned Remaster, as I understand it is the same city, but now completely in the Doom. Although in my opinion there are a lot of barons of hell. They slow down the gameplay with their vitality. I hope you will release part 3 blade of agony this spring.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Why are all messages blank?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Gothic wrote:Why are all messages blank?
This is super strange. When or how did that happen?
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Happens when I try to open a locked door.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks alot, found the bug and fixed it, how could I oversee that... just uploaded RC3 which is almost done now, new enemies for the superarchvile and the boss battle have been added, a lot of fixes made - all that's left now is changing the rail attack at the boss battle arena to something Ozymandias is currently working on. Then we are ready :)
Gothic

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC3

Post by Gothic »

Here's a bunch of stuff I forgot to report earlier:

The wood bridge on the brimstone area has some weird texture elevations:
From outside it looks like this:

From inside it looks like this:

And from the other side it looks like this:

Also on the brimstone area, the non lava islands and the checkerboard floors inside the lava pit can damage you:

This fan outside can be crossed:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks for spotting these, I will just fix them!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Never say never
RC4 has been released with improved effects, two new monsters, new music and a load of bugfixes
https://www.mediafire.com/file/eqkjyabh ... 4.zip/file
Gothic

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC4

Post by Gothic »

You forgot to include the map

Also will the backups be removed in the final release? they seem like dead weight to be honest.
Tormentor667

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC4

Post by Tormentor667 »

My pk3-building batch was buggy, link is updated, thanks for the hint Gothic!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”