Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReformedJoe

Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

Post by ReformedJoe »

Another day, another fight against "impossible" odds. Another syndicate mech driver so out of his mind on propaganda and combat stims he probably doesn't even remember his own name. Another kill tally for you. The coalition doesn't pay well. But compared to the alternative? You've seen first hand the labor camps and the mass graves. You've seen how the syndicate treats people: not as humans, but as economic cogs to be disposed of when they malfunction. Now the word is out: the big push is about to begin. Everyone knows what that means. Even the greenest-of-green boots know what's at stake and what it's going to cost. No, the coalition doesn't pay well at all. But freedom is its own reward. The syndicate must be destroyed.

bitchin' 320x200 thumbnail

Iron Assault

What's this?
Iron Assault is a mech action game, designed specifically for GZDoom. It is based loosely on an obscure shooter released by Graffiti back in the mid nineties. Note that Iron Assault is a re-imagining, not a 1:1 remake of the original. It is heavily influenced by Heavy Gear 1, and Mechwarrior 4 (especially mercenaries).

Features:
-Many customizable mechs with dozens of weapons and modules to choose from.
-Weapons from “light” 14.5mm machineguns to rapid fire 105mm rocket launchers.
-Modules add functionality to your mech, from jumpjets to advanced sensor pods that let you see threats up to kilometers away.
-A custom armor, damage and limb damage system.
-Custom weapon system, which will be familiar to those who have played mechwarrior games, most similar to mw4.
-Large scale maps packed with destructible objects and buildings. Almost everything within the bounds of a map can be damaged or destroyed in some way.
-Campaign spanning 5 different environments and a sim mode that lets you play campaign maps with random spawns or in a survival wave mode.

Demo Release (see downloads below):
-8 Playable mechs.
-Contains the first 2 operation, consisting of 6 missions.
-22 weapons and 27 modules.
-The new sim/skirmish mode.

Full release WID.

Screens:
Spoiler:
Old Videos:
Spoiler:
FAQ:
Spoiler:
Downloads:
Spoiler:
Last edited by ReformedJoe on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Cherno

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Mech Action in GZDoom

Post by Cherno »

Another Mech game remake, great! It looks like you managed to create a faithful remake. I like the idea of being able to destroy the environment, it really makes you feel like piloting a giant warmachine 8-)
Rayman The Hedgehog

Post by Rayman The Hedgehog »

Groovy, never heard about that game before, but with just see the idea of making a MechWarrior-esque game on GZDoom rise my hype :D
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Oh my god, Iron Assault was one of my first FPS(more like a robot sim though) played in my childhood. I'm looking SO forward for the release!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Cherno wrote:...I like the idea of being able to destroy the environment, it really makes you feel like piloting a giant warmachine...
110% :rock: It was one of the first things I implemented.
Rayman The Hedgehog wrote:...never heard about that game before, but with just see the idea of making a MechWarrior-esque game on GZDoom rise my hype...
Yeah it's pretty obscure. Mechwarrior is very much an inspiration.
Toyoch wrote:Oh my god, Iron Assault was one of my first FPS(more like a robot sim though) played in my childhood. I'm looking SO forward for the release!
Wow, I never thought I would meet another person who played it. I remember buying it back around '96 because I thought the box looked cool. I still have the manual, though the box was long ago thrown out. Shame.
DoomSoul

Post by DoomSoul »

It looks very cool. Will you include the original HUD?
What happended with interestellar enforcer?
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

DoomSoul wrote:It looks very cool. Will you include the original HUD?
What happended with interestellar enforcer?
Original HUDs are a possibility. The issue is that they are going to require some adjustment for modern screens. It's on the list, and I really like the look of the OG HUDs, but honestly it's not a super high priority.

As for IE, the project is on hiatus. I haven't made a formal announcement because it would be pointless to bump the thread just to say that. However I will say I have several ideas for a redesign, and that the direction of the project is going to be much more aligned with metroid (specifically the prime series). More on that much later, and in a different place than this thread.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Looks cool and I'm always happy to see more mech stuff. You should check out this other mod in development when you get a chance too. It's another Mech mod, but for right now is focused solely as a gameplay mod and not a total conversion, but what is there is right now makes for one of the most intricate and detailed Mech mods I've seen. Maybe you guys could team up on something or at least learn a bit from each others work to further your own projects. https://github.com/Lewisk3/MechDoomer
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Destructive buildings? Oooooh yeah, by flaming noseholes of mecha-godzilla, it looks really strategic and impressive. And i do hope there are also unnecessarily enormous machines bigger than you. Just like Mobile Armors.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

skdursh wrote: Maybe you guys could team up on something or at least learn a bit from each others work to further your own projects. https://github.com/Lewisk3/MechDoomer
Shortly after I posted this thread, Lewisk3 and I did talk briefly. I have played Mechdoomer, and it is a very impressive project. Far in advance of anything I could hope to accomplish so I doubt I'd be able to contribute technically, but I have been mulling over the idea of making a map set for it.
Captain J wrote:And i do hope there are also unnecessarily enormous machines bigger than you. Just like Mobile Armors.
Enemies will generally pilot the same machines as you, which range in height from 15 - 22ish Meters. I'm not ruling out the possibility of larger boss type enemies though.

Anyway here's a brief update:
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Great news! I hope to see more gameplay videos soon :) A deathmatch (deathmech?) / arena map might also be nice.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Holy shit ! The customization menu blow me up instantly and the movement of the mecha has a nice weight to it.
The interactivity of the levels helps a lot to the feeling that you are piloting a powerful machine.
And you pulled it all so well !
This is amazing :D !
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Very cool - we need more mech mods.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Progress is slow but steady. Hoping to get a longer gameplay video out once I polish a few more things up.

Anyway, here's another quick update.
Spoiler:
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

This looks exciting. Reminds me of when I used to watch the Heavy Gear kids cartoon show on Saturday mornings.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”