[p33] Reelism 2 - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Milestone

Re: [WIP] Reelism 2

Post by Milestone »

Serious question: during development of this, will you be taking into consideration the idea of people adding in their own mods for custom reels / levels / what-have-you? There were a number of pretty good custom bits made for Reelism 1, and it'd be great if Reelism Deux could be custom-content friendly.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Milestone wrote:Serious question: during development of this, will you be taking into consideration the idea of people adding in their own mods for custom reels / levels / what-have-you? There were a number of pretty good custom bits made for Reelism 1, and it'd be great if Reelism Deux could be custom-content friendly.
Definitely.

Every reel (including bosses) is now just an actor that's spawned into the map that contains all its pertinent information (name, description etc.) and manages its various affairs before being removed at the end of its time. We're yet to move the list of reels into a custom lump so as to make it easy for additional WADs to add onto it, but it's definitely on the to-do list.

With maps, we've tried to keep some vague form of backwards-compatibility with Reelism 1 re: editor and script numbers, but you'll likely want to make some tweaks for the new gameplay and features, anyway.

In other news, I haven't worked on this as much as I'd have liked lately, but my teammates have been filling the gap quite nicely. A new reel here, a ported old reel there (cowboys are back!), and ground broken on the Superweapons. Yes, they're back, but the HYPERPOWER! reel is not. So, how do you get them? How, indeed...
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Here's a question: are there gonna be any new bosses and new enemies like the Daleks?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

undeadmonk354 wrote:Here's a question: are there gonna be any new bosses and new enemies like the Daleks?
There's definitely new monsters and bosses. It didn't make sense to just port over the old stuff without messing around with new things.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Looking great, Kinsie! I'm definitely looking forward to trying this out.

If you need any sound stuff I would love to be able to contribute something. :)
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I really, really hope that SKY,MAYBE skybox sticks around. It makes me giggle.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: You'd better include a Chaos B-Ball so I can re-enact the pivotal moments of Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

A little bit more of Positive reels would be nice too. Too much caffeine one never lasts longer. And crate shower is just a potential lag maker. For some reason, the box spawning happens twice.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I hope there's gonna be more enemy reels like the Marathon and Duke Nukem 3D enemies.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

undeadmonk354 wrote:I hope there's gonna be more enemy reels like the Marathon and Duke Nukem 3D enemies.
There probably won't be much in the way of explicit "YO HERE'S THE DUDES FROM THAT ONE SPECIFIC GAME" reels, because they're not enormously interesting and we enjoy fiddling with things and making them a bit weird. That said, the current line-up includes the Outlaws reel from Reelism 1 and a new Quake-themed monster reel, so we'll also contradict ourselves on that as is most convenient. :)
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Have you though on making a reel dedicated to early 3D creatures from old Doom mods?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Hopefully this'll mean that it's easier to make custom Reels for the game, and maybe even a reel where Wolf3D enemies/guns are replaced with their Lost Episode counterparts. Perhaps a shoutout to jokewads like dotims or UACMN, even?
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Techokami »

To go a little more in depth on those aformentioned enemy reels Kinsie mentioned (which I'm basically responsible for), here's some insight into the thought process for them!

For the Outlaws, it was a mixture of judging how the community felt about them and what their role would be overall in the game. Lots of people liked those cowboys, finding them hilarious, and we didn't have any other bullet-type enemies present; everything up to this point was melee or projectile. So they were brought back... with a twist. They're no longer hitscanners, but shoot tracers instead. This is because hitscan is, well, rather annoying for enemies to have, so now there's a better chance to detect and dodge their attacks (while also adding the sound of bullets whizzing past your head!). As a result, we don't really need the zombiemen reel anymore (cowboys have their role) and I highly doubt we'll have the Wolf3D enemy reel either (because it was just more hitscan).

For the Quake enemies, it was to try and do something a bit different, and honor the other big id Software FPS series. I was also playing a crapload of OSJC's Quake: Descent into Heresy and TheOldKingCole's Doomification of it as well as playing the original Quake itself, which just inspired me. But I also had to think of how they would fit, and the enemies that were selected all brought something to the table, like Grunts having a shotgun (again, no hitscan, all tracers!), Scrags being a flying enemy... then I woke up one morning to find that Kinsie had implemented Ogres and their grenade-lobbing, chainsaw-swinging combat to mix things up. There's a fourth enemy as well, but Kinsie's got other plans for them...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Gothic wrote:Have you though on making a reel dedicated to early 3D creatures from old Doom mods?
Sorry kins, but i honestly second this!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Techokami wrote:To go a little more in depth on those aformentioned enemy reels Kinsie mentioned (which I'm basically responsible for), here's some insight into the thought process for them!

For the Outlaws, it was a mixture of judging how the community felt about them and what their role would be overall in the game. Lots of people liked those cowboys, finding them hilarious, and we didn't have any other bullet-type enemies present; everything up to this point was melee or projectile. So they were brought back... with a twist. They're no longer hitscanners, but shoot tracers instead. This is because hitscan is, well, rather annoying for enemies to have, so now there's a better chance to detect and dodge their attacks (while also adding the sound of bullets whizzing past your head!). As a result, we don't really need the zombiemen reel anymore (cowboys have their role) and I highly doubt we'll have the Wolf3D enemy reel either (because it was just more hitscan).

For the Quake enemies, it was to try and do something a bit different, and honor the other big id Software FPS series. I was also playing a crapload of OSJC's Quake: Descent into Heresy and TheOldKingCole's Doomification of it as well as playing the original Quake itself, which just inspired me. But I also had to think of how they would fit, and the enemies that were selected all brought something to the table, like Grunts having a shotgun (again, no hitscan, all tracers!), Scrags being a flying enemy... then I woke up one morning to find that Kinsie had implemented Ogres and their grenade-lobbing, chainsaw-swinging combat to mix things up. There's a fourth enemy as well, but Kinsie's got other plans for them...
D'aw, they should retain their ol' wolfenstein-style hitscan to spice a few things up (and just to sell the NEW and DIFFERENT look, use the Lost Episodes assets).
Last edited by EddieMann on Fri May 01, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I have two questions to ask,
1. Are the Quake monsters fully 3D models in this game?
And 2. Are there any new bosses, including a Quake themed boss?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”