Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Post by Cherno »

zxdunny wrote:
Cherno wrote:
Dynamo wrote: By the way, are there any plans for the sequel to this game to receive a similar treatment in the future? Or maybe some other Amiga FPS (someone mentioned Breathless, and I'm gonna mention Genetic Species)? If not that's fine, just figured I'd ask.
I started working on a Gloom TC for GZDoom some years ago, converted everything up to the first hell level before I got bored. Gloom is far less fun than Alien Breed 3D in the long run with only three enemy types per episode and no real difference between the weapons. Still, I got so far, I think I will eventually come back to it and finish it.
I hope you do. Your TC is actually better than the port that someone has done recently from the Amiga sources.
Thank you, it means a lot for me.
TDG

Post by TDG »

I am normally not much of a fan of straight Doom like games as I always preferred story driven FPS like Half Life and the recent Wolfenstein Blade of Agony and Ashes 2063 but this is well done Doom conversion of Alien Breed 3D. It is really cool to see it being recreated for the PC.

I understand why Team17 did it for the Amiga but I really think they should have considered a PC version at the time as well as PCs just simply were better for FPS games. The Amiga tried but it could just no longer run aside the PC.
Or was Quake already out and that is why Team 17 never bothered with a PC port?

Anyway also happy that this game comes with its own launcher. Saves on having to configure the setup.

BTW have you ever seen some of the trailer material for the prototype of Alien Breed 3D? I kind of liked those more humanoid Alien inspired creatures I saw in the screenshots.
To bad those never made it to the final game.
zxdunny
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by zxdunny »

TDG wrote: BTW have you ever seen some of the trailer material for the prototype of Alien Breed 3D? I kind of liked those more humanoid Alien inspired creatures I saw in the screenshots.
To bad those never made it to the final game.
The original demo had actual honest-to-god Aliens from the film, but green to avoid copyright issues. And yeah, that level rocked hard. Here's hoping that the author of this rather spiffing TC can find it within himself to recreate it.

In the meantime, I'm going to see about getting Breathless done, if someone (hint!) can get the textures to me. I can handle the level designs easily enough by just walking them.
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

I'll have to express my thanks to Rayman the Hedgehog in here rather than by PM - I can't send PMs yet it would seem. Many thanks, and I'll see what I can get done with this :)
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

zxdunny wrote:The original demo had actual honest-to-god Aliens from the film, but green to avoid copyright issues. And yeah, that level rocked hard. Here's hoping that the author of this rather spiffing TC can find it within himself to recreate it.
Stay tuned. ;)
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:
zxdunny wrote:The original demo had actual honest-to-god Aliens from the film, but green to avoid copyright issues. And yeah, that level rocked hard. Here's hoping that the author of this rather spiffing TC can find it within himself to recreate it.
Stay tuned. ;)
Oh, and ahead of this weekend's attempt to do Breathless's levels, do you have any recommendations as to which tools you would ideally use? I'll be starting with just the maps at first, once the sprites are ripped then I'll see about adding enemies and scripting. But it's a very, very long time since I did any doom mapping at all.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

zxdunny wrote:Oh, and ahead of this weekend's attempt to do Breathless's levels, do you have any recommendations as to which tools you would ideally use? I'll be starting with just the maps at first, once the sprites are ripped then I'll see about adding enemies and scripting. But it's a very, very long time since I did any doom mapping at all.
I use Ultimate Doom Builder for map editing, and SLADE3 for sorting out the PK3 archive and scripting. And if I recall Breathless has an automap mode, so referencing the maps should be easy enough via emulator.
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:
zxdunny wrote:Oh, and ahead of this weekend's attempt to do Breathless's levels, do you have any recommendations as to which tools you would ideally use? I'll be starting with just the maps at first, once the sprites are ripped then I'll see about adding enemies and scripting. But it's a very, very long time since I did any doom mapping at all.
I use Ultimate Doom Builder for map editing, and SLADE3 for sorting out the PK3 archive and scripting. And if I recall Breathless has an automap mode, so referencing the maps should be easy enough via emulator.
Yep, Breathless will be a walk in the park compared to AB3D. All walls are orthogonal, occasional floor height adjustments but nothing more than that. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll get started shortly!
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:
If it is correct, Project Osiris should have a R667 article by now :3:
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Redneckerz wrote:If it is correct, Project Osiris should have a R667 article by now :3:
Thanks, very cool to see, much appreciated!
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

OutSTANDing! At last, we can play Alien Breed 3D without having to squint!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very retrospective and wonderful TC. Bravo!! Definitely it enhances rather "small" original Alien Breed 3D. The whole gameplay was slow, sure. But i certainly had some blasting fun with it. Also i dig the HD version of the weapons too.

However the one thing i would like to complain is the Shotgun. The damage and spread are fine, but the delay before firing it is kinda... Unnecessary. I think this was in the original game, no? But still would be nice if you could change something stagnant for the better.
jocelynsachs

Post by jocelynsachs »

This is fantastic :) I can only apologise for the level designs; I had no idea what I was doing at the time. Looking forward to playing this tonight and finding out what you've done to the old girl.
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

jocelynsachs wrote:This is fantastic :) I can only apologise for the level designs; I had no idea what I was doing at the time. Looking forward to playing this tonight and finding out what you've done to the old girl.
I'm sure that if someone who was involved in the original would like to make a map expansion pack it would be well received... Just tossing an idea out there y'know :)
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

jocelynsachs wrote:This is fantastic :) I can only apologise for the level designs; I had no idea what I was doing at the time. Looking forward to playing this tonight and finding out what you've done to the old girl.
Aw snap! You mean you were on the original dev team for the Amiga original?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”