[WIP ] Monster Mash

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HellCattX

[WIP ] Monster Mash

Post by HellCattX »

After bad luck and losing alot of resources, i happened across a PC with some of my old files... And from the ashes, i am making this, a tribute mod

Started off as a monster randomizer from all the community made monsters, that grew to add new weapons and classes.

all classes have 15 - 16 weapons, some less, depending on the weapon layout from the setting the character came from.
Reload - Some classes feature reloading, others do not. Reloading is based of classic duke 3d reloading system, when the gun will reload after magazine ammo is used, or if the reload button is pressed ( reload state ) and like this system better as it make use of secondary fires, and in real life, you really dont have a magazine counter available. No custom hud faces yet, in progress, but all classes have custom pain and death sounds.

Monsters dont just drop weapons, they drop ammo, with a very low chance of dropping a weapon instead, and if you see a monster with a plasma weapon, expect a energy weapon spawn to drop, or what ever weapon class the monster is using, so that way theres always a CHANCE to find a weapon, but nothing definite, and if you are playing with Ultimate Doom / Doom 1, theres a chance to find a super shotgun off a dead super shotgun zombie.

Weapons are granted by spawners and class items, and other classes can not use other classes weapons. The only guaranteed weapons are found on basic doom weapon spawn spots, so theres not a shortage of explosive weapons to take down a map 30 demon spitter, and a almost balanced ammo collection setting.
Some classes have a thrown item ( grenades ) and a device ( sentry gun / missile pod, ect ) for attack inventory items others give weapons. There is an Anti venom item to cure poisoning, and all health and armor bonuses have been replaced by barrels and boxes that contain items ( like Half life ). This mod is made with 98% NO ACS, just Zdoom Decorate ( some left over recycled old vehicle code exists for the flyable Attack helicopter on a custom map ), and all classes have custom armor pick ups, they work the same, just more tailored to specific classes. Also the same goes for Light amp items, where some classes get light amp, others night vision, and others torch power up, to keep to the theme of the class, as a mage or corvus from heretic did not have light amp googles.

Ammo is set by :
Clip - pistol / low calibur ammo,
Ammo Box - rifle / high calibur ammo,
Shells - shells of all kinds
shell box - shell boxes / bolts and arrows
rocket ammo - rocket ammo
rocket box - rocket box / grenade ammo
cells - cells / energy / cryo
Cell Bulk - Bulk cell, other

Weapons that use similar ammo type or bullet types like the marines 9mm pistol and 9mm smg, use a 9mm bullet projectile doing that exact same damage, but once the smg is found, making use of the pistol ammo type as a pistol alternative, if the magnum that has piercing ammo hasnt been found yet, while allowing ammox box placement to be used as rifle ammo spawners so the rifle and sniper rifles can use the same pool, but the combat rifles lower cailbur three round burst give a diferent advantage to the sniper rifles higher caliber slower fire rate, but long range scope with light amp bonus for distance shots so theres always a style suitable to your game play that isnt just a copy and paste weapon using a_firebullets. I chose to use projectiles for most thing versus hitscan because of the time freeze power up that can be found, it seem unfair that it didnt stop bullets too.

Classes are in progress and are being tweeked, refined and re polished as development continues.

Class : Videos feature weapons and items in my custom made test level. the monsters are dummies and respawn after you kill them, and machines replicate the items inside by pressing the buttons, to quickly test out items and weapons, without overloading the system. HAS LIMITED Heretic Compatiblitity. Not all classes are coded in and some dont have armor and weapon pickups in the heretic world yet. a few are fully incorporated and fully functional, just not added the monster random spawner yet, as this is a hobby mod, and i dont spend every day working on it, just id bits here and there.

Marine Classes -
Spoiler:
Heretic / Hexen Syles
Spoiler:
Other Styles / Games
Spoiler:

There are more classes, these ones are close to playable ( not finished ) and ones not featured are still missing items / weapons / or sprites, so are just using place holder sprites for now. Again, This is a Tribute / Compilation mod, there are some sprites made by me, and code, but there is some made by others, i'm not denying that, just all packaged into one lil mod... its a project that I plan to add more to over time.

This was meant to be a private mod for personal enjoyment, but has grown much more than that, the now public release is INCOMPLETE and UNFINISHED. Use with descretion.

INCOMPLETE Version -0.0V

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvPH38 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by HellCattX on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 23 times in total.
jablon1000

Re: Monster Mash ( Back from the Dead )

Post by jablon1000 »

Looks promising.

Project brutality have missile launcher with guided mode. I thunk you should start from PB github https://github.com/pa1nki113r/Project_Brutality
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

hm. i'll be trying to keep an eye on this mod
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Updated Main post, New videos and classes. This is still Just a hobby, work and life comes first, but any feed back is welcomed. things that didnt get a video update : akimbo pistols - If found, some pistols can give a secondary pistol if found, mostly light handguns that dont require two hands. If anyone is looking for any sprites i use, feel free to ask for a request, and ill post a sprite sheet in the spriting carnevil.... heh
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Still not dead yet, just busy with life, work, kids, ect, but there is progress.
The Basic Marine Video has been updated.
The Barbarian Video Has been Updated
WTF weapons has been added.
Cleric Class under the Hexen / Heretic category has been added
Updated from Zdoom 2.81 to GZdoom.... And started to add colored muzzle flashes and lights.
Destructible items like Tech lamps and torches, most light sources can be destroyed, just to make combat more interesting.
fixed menu spacing in my Doom Complete file compiled by wad smoosh.

Anyone wanting Codes, Sprites, Ideas or what not... feel free to ask, i'm not hoarding and am willing to give back to the community upon request for assets before any possibly plausible release, just make all requests through private messaging and what style you would like, as just a code file, a sprite sheet, a complete drop and drag wad, ect.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

- just a quick note -
Working on a slaughter style map with my 11 year old son and he wanted to show off its progress, its included in my monster mash wad, but not the doom complete pk3.
My copy of doom complete includes, Doom 1 - All 4 episodes, Sigil, Doom2, Plutonia, TNT, No Rest for the living, The Master levels, Massacre on callisto, Killing fields of IO, Hells gate - The red Spot, and Remnants of earth.
Monster Mash Includes : arena, Dethbowl, Painlabs, Deathmatch startup level, Nazi Bunker ( re worked wolf 3d E1M1 ), and the "testing room" used in my videos.

The map he wants to show off today is the Dethbowl aka Heart of Evil map, found under misc videos section. Features scalable difficulty, respawns after death and end boss style object to kill to win and stop the onslaught of demons and undead. Still working on the base, as its poly object based, and we're working together to learn it in our free time, so its still rather buggy. the map has a custom end game cast list, but its incomplete at this time.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

That's nice to hear on the updates, I'm looking forward to it.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

technically its always being updated, I just have a couple weeks vacation time and have the time to upload and update progresses.

As such, added updated mage video to Heretic / Hexen section.

Still having issues figuring out the tag system, i have it working for inventory items, when you scroll through using [ and ] buttons, but i cant figure out how to get it to work with weapons when scrolling through with the mouse wheel, as i was under the impression thats all it took to make it work....
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Updated Gordon Freeman class video from half Life on first post under other characters.
Sprites are large scale texture lumps
uses Half life HD models as source
crossbow still missing reload frames
still tweeking positions of textures for more fluid animations + not getting cut off by screen bounderies
* knows about random cyan pixels and animations speeds.
Still no tongue for barnacle as i dont used md3's / mdls for compatibility issues and for the fact I hate how the open gl renderer renders sprites, i stick to true renderer that doesnt not show models.
No idle / Deep Idle animations as of yet, as they will take a fair bit of time as well.
Still can't get missile to follow laser dot via decorate or thing hate...
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

still brings a smile to my face every time i see someones use my deagle sprites :)
Gonna try this out soon.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

project has slowed down due to ps5 reasons,... hehe....

I try and make every class have similar style sprites, and your desert eagle fit the heavy handgun slot without having to re use a doom 64 sprite or something.

Currently 10 / 16 weapons in the blood art style class. still tweeking the weapons to function similar to how they would in blood, however a few twists, like the Thompson smg will feature stick mags instead of drums mags / reloading, with smaller damage ( .45 cal ) and faster rate of fire, for the machinegun you get get in the chaingun slot that has no reloads slower rate of fire with a bigger bullet damage ( 7.62mm ) so its two weapons that also use different ammo pool, so the smg is like an upgraded pistol using pistol ( clip ) ammo pickups , leaving the machinegun and rifles to use the high caliber rifle ammo picked up on ammo box locations.

If someone's are interested in "testing" purposes, you can send me a PM, and ill consider it. By doing so, you are to understand that it is a unfinished mod, and should no be re-distributed. I dont mind if the sprites or codes get "borrowed" as its a public community mod, and there are some sprites custom made / tweeked that someone else might find just as use full. Also, as i am constantly changing or tweeking classes / sprites, the test version one person may get, may be different from another version someone else gets, this is also why it should not be re - distributed, as compatibility issues may arise. however, i do have it in both pk3 and wad formats available.

Im also open to suggestions or if someone sees something they do not used, i will remove it upon request. There's is at least 4 more classes in the works ( ninja - shadow warrior style, Cowboy, quake 1 / 2 ) and more set up and planned for, as this mod not only takes is inspiration from community based resources, but mods alot of people may not heard of like : OMG weapons, Korn Dog arena, Doom center, ect and is a way to keep aspects of these forgotten or no longer updated mods a chance to keep going.

*** Only my mod "Monster Mash" will be included. My custom "Complete Doom" is not included. ***
MrNeigh69

Post by MrNeigh69 »

Can't wait for this one, I need to play it right now!! :o do you have a release date?
PS: Keep this amazing work!
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

no release date as of yet. I have a few more tweeks to work out like sprite placement issues, cyan loose sprites, a proper credits list, and the conclusion of player testing feedback results, before ill even think about a pre beta alpha.... maps are also mostly incomplete... as I kinda bounce around from piece to piece when my brain gets stale of working on the same thing over and over, plus some things I let my son help with, and wont work on without him... However I have one person slated right now for testing purposes, and once I get the feedback from them and issues addressed, may help in that regards.

Coming soon, Blood 1 style class video.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Added the start of the blood class in game, video under other styles / games spoiler on first topic.
weapons function similar to blood, with some sprite and code changes, new weapons added, ect, still refining this class, just taking a break for a bit, and waiting on testers input.
HellCattX

Post by HellCattX »

Due to things beyond my control, and the fact that Doom modding has kinda lost priorities for me, this mod is on Haidas... i do plan on working on it... mayhaps sometime... maybe? but honestly, My focuses are on work, family and my modding skills have moved to other games. I currently run a custom mod PS4/PS5 Ark : Survival evolved server, however this forum is not for advertisements, so if you want details in that regards, PM me.

So, I am posting the mod as is, front page. It has partial Credits as its a partial release, but the readme has info about the mod as well. Just remember, THIS IS INCOMPLETE! I have been hounded by PM, asking for a link to the download, and as im not a hoarder and know there are things like the Half Life HD sprite set people are wanting, so if thats all its downloaded for is the taking of resources, then so be it, as its me giving back to the community that gave to me.

Post any errors if you want, they will be noted, and if I get to more work on it, ill add it to the fix list.

I have many other classes partially on the go, with sprites and sounds set up in folders, all it takes is the coding, but not today, tomarrow... or anytime soon...

I use 4shared as my download provider, and have for many years, there should be no wait time, but i cant be sure.. as they keep changing they're download policy, but its there.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”