Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited (v. 3.0)

Fri May 05, 2017 5:47 am

For months now, Allied Intelligence has suspected that the German navy has been attempting to construct a nuclear-powered submarine somewhere in the Arctic Circle that would rule the Atlantic and threaten the east coast of the United States. The existence of this submarine, codenamed Seeteufel (Sea Devil), has been confirmed. Reconnaissance photos have pinpointed the site where this sub is being built as a u-boat base in a fjord in northern Norway, and although several spies have been dispatched to this location, none of them has been heard from again. Your mission is to infiltrate the base, rescue these missing operatives, and destroy the new submarine before its construction is completed.

A mod for EDGE/3DGE 1.35 Final or later. Compatible with any version between 1.35 and the more recent 2.10 builds.

Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited is an update/improvement to Laz Rojas' classic WolfenDOOM scenario (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/theme ... d/arcticse) with improved gameplay, all new weapons, enemies, new mechanics, more interactivity, more immersion, scripting, updated textures, level fixes, etc.

19 levels of intensive and plot-driven Nazi-blasting fun, plus one super secret bonus level which can now be reached without cheating.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

DOWNLOAD (2021): https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2rnsd56 ... 1.zip/file
Make sure you have transparency/translucency turned on.

EDGE 1.35: https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge/f ... p/download
EDGE 2.0.4 Final: https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/ ... z/download
EDGE DevBuilds: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/

You do not need any of the files from the original or special edition of Operation: Arctic Wolf to play this. You will, however, need EDGE (see above) and a DOOM II IWAD.

Concerning the levels:
Spoiler:

Credits: (probably incomplete list)
Spoiler:
Last edited by CeeJay on Thu May 13, 2021 1:36 am, edited 43 times in total.

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 am

Very nice pics; loads of atmosphere.

Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 am

And that's only the beginning. In later levels you'll be exploring dams, sub-depots, barracks etc. not to mention you'll be busting fellow agents out of captivity. It was quite a epic little package Laz was able to produce within the limitations of vanilla Doom 2.

Fri May 05, 2017 3:57 pm

This looks absolutely incredible! Thanks for creating this, I'm looking forward to playing through this!

Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Oh, that'll be good!

Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Reminds me of my attempt to zdoomify Arctic Wolf. Got as far as the second resource wad and got bored trying to figure out what everything was.

Fri May 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Yeah, that was the biggest headache. Figuring out what everything was supposed to be and how it was supposed to function. When I first blended the two together, the first part was fine but the second was a mess. Interestingly, Laz did leave some unused resources in there. Also, I have memory of exploring an airfield in either the original (is this one lost?) or SE version, but I can not find it anywhere in the maps. There's even resources for this.

Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 am

This sounds and looks promising, need to check it when I'll be back on comp...

As a side note, can you be more specific of what did you use from BoA? This wouldn't be mandatory but surely appreciated (if possible).

Good job!

Sat May 06, 2017 5:51 am

Resources used from Blade of Agony...

Textures:
Spoiler:

Flats:
Spoiler:

Sprites:
Spoiler:

Sounds:
Spoiler:

It's not a lot, really, and I have plans of removing atleast one of the things.

Sat May 06, 2017 6:39 am

Don't worry, you are free to use that stuff...
I was just curious, also because I really don't have enough free time to keep things tracked and to check / play mods. Your reply is enough for me, keep up the good work!
Keep us informed if you come with new hires sprites, we need mainly for props and a couple of weapons / pickups

Sat May 06, 2017 7:18 am

What, more exactly, is it you need?

You can use my fire extinguisher if it's suitable. I edited a picture of an authentic WWII era one, re-sized and re-coloured for use in Doom. That's one of the things I'm trying to replace, all the modern day stuff with something closer to the real time period.

Comes in two flavours, orange and red (orange is a little more accurate)
ImageImage

Mon May 08, 2017 2:31 am

Some screenshots of the Dam, part I...
Spoiler:

Yes, I am aware that the wall doesn't tile... like... at all. Also, for those who remeber and know how to beat this level will get a little surprise.

Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 am

I am really not sure if this mugshot is a good choice... it looks totally different from BJ :-(

Mon May 08, 2017 5:06 am

Well, I never recall Laz specifically referring to the player as being BJ in any of the documentations. I figured it could be any nameless spy. But who hows, I might have it changed for the full release.

EDIT: I might have it removed all together, since the mod would require more expressions and looks. What with the underwater segments and new pain types, etc.

Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 am

I quite like the new mugshot and the fact it looks different. Having more than just BJ winning the war for the allies is fine IMO