[Release] Demon Eclipse - Episode 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Amuscaria

Re: [Release] Demon Eclipse - Episode 1

Post by Amuscaria »

@Robomorons:

I usually try to reward players that like exploring and going into every nook and cranny. I've hidden ammo and health in secrets or just parts of the map that most players don't bother going to the first time around - usually it involves jumping or going behind some crate. I've tested all the maps before release and it is beatable without any secrets - although you're going to have to make the shots count, on UV. I can assure you that if you got to the secrets, you'll have more than enough ammo to kill every single monster and still have a substantial extra for the next map in line. :)

@Graf:

I can't help myself! D: I have an obsessive-compulsive personality that if I see something wrong with anything I did, I'm compelled to to "fix" it. But you're right, I have never finished a projects - that includes things outside of Doom-modding as well. That said, regards to DE, it's mostly due to my ambitions greatly exceeding my skills when I started on the project. When I dropped the overblown Episode 3 idea, my new goal was just to make a mod that was on-par with Doom quality. But my artistic skills have only recently started to catch up to that, and now real-life issues have caught up. :P

@Jimmy:

The roadblock is the sprites and graphics. No sprites of what I need exists in the current resource pool for Doom, nor do my older stuff measure up to Doom's quality. As an artist, it's easiest for me to point out flaws in the graphics and this most of my scrutiny are placed there. I'm honestly thinking about just focusing on the graphics portion and asking for a few people to join me for the maps and stuff. It doesn't help that my recent PC crash somehow managed to corrupt BOTH of my external hard drives. Not really sure how that happened, but half the graphics files have the upper half of it look fine, but then the lower half either lost all the colors, is inverted, missing sections, or parts of another file pasted into it. Although I've extensively backed-up my files on CDs and on-line, I still lost 1 rotation for my Draugr sprite (which amounts to like 1 week), some work on my Hell Duke, and 1 1/2 maps, which was a remake of the newer Episode 2 map, and another one I recently just started. :P
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Eriance wrote:I can't help myself! D: I have an obsessive-compulsive personality that if I see something wrong with anything I did, I'm compelled to to "fix" it. But you're right, I have never finished a projects - that includes things outside of Doom-modding as well.
Hear hear, my stuff would have been finished many times over had there not been several other distracting factors.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

How to do a project:

Step 1: Okay I'm gonna do this!
Step 2: Make a list of everything you need to do.
Step 3: Start on, like, half of them at once.
Step 4: Realize in short order you're super-fucked.
Step 5: OH GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME
Step 6: Fuck it I can cut, like, a good quarter of this
Step 7: OH GOD SOMEHOW IT GOT EVEN HARDER TO DO
Step 8: I'M GOING TO CUT ANOTHER QUARTER NOBODY WILL MISS IT
Step 9: Oh hey something shiny over there
Step 10: Wow I just walked like over there to look at something for five minutes and somehow a year has passed what the fuck happened
Step 11: Fuck it this is insalvageable
Step 12: Brb starting it all over again THIS TIME I CAN DO IT RIGHT
Step 13: go to step 1
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I know. If we organized a 'get shit done' group with the three of us to get each other's shit done...

there would be a lot of procrastination before that happens and after that happens

I think it's all due to the motivation of the final releases considering the small audience, further marginalized due to one unspeakable thing.
Average

Post by Average »

Blue Shadow, firstly thanks for taking the time to tweak Eriance's work into a stand alone release. I really appreciate that. Thanks, also, to Eriance for overcoming his/her OCD and allow this release in the first place!

I was wondering though if you would consider releasing a PK3 or WAD with just the weapons like the previous Eriguns. I would love to play other map sets with these guns and I'm sure others would too.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Average wrote:I was wondering though if you would consider releasing a PK3 or WAD with just the weapons like the previous Eriguns. I would love to play other map sets with these guns and I'm sure others would too.
Doesn't the last Eriguns feature these weapons?
Average

Post by Average »

It's quite an old version now. It at least doesn't have the chainsaw... I was thinking perhaps there were some code changes too... :)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'm not sure about any changes, but here you go anyway. ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wtb ... eapons.pk3
Average

Post by Average »

Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to running through the recently tweaked KDIZD. :)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Does anyone have the oooooooold Demon Eclipse sprites? With the green single-barrel shotgun and all? They're the same sprites that were used in Stronghold, if I recall correctly. Also, should I be asking this in the DE resource thread instead of here?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Big C wrote:Does anyone have the oooooooold Demon Eclipse sprites? With the green single-barrel shotgun and all?
You can find them in v2.0.9 of the mod.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Big C wrote:Does anyone have the oooooooold Demon Eclipse sprites? With the green single-barrel shotgun and all?
You can find them in v2.0.9 of the mod.
Thanks a bundle!
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I have found this episode to be one of the best base style levels, this should have won a cacoward, because the levels are massive, diverse, and insanely fun. if you want a good E1 style overdetail wad, you need to play this. Ive found the best mods to play with this are the d3 weapons pack, and smooth doom.
5/5 good techbase, good design(you can get lost), good athmosphere, and good use of zdoom features
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I gotta bump to ask:

Why are the maps in E1** format? It's a hassle to have to changemap when launching a multiplayer.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

That's how they were in the latest released beta, and they were kept like that. As for that "hassle", it's something I know nothing about, since I don't play multiplayer. Sorry.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”