Doom: The Golden Souls ["Even More Definitive Edition" OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls [Definitive Edition Released!]

Post by Gez »

I bet it's the one that's hidden in a small cave on the side of one of the big island, and you have to jump down to the cloud layer to reach it. The big one with the temple ruins right to the north, in front of you when you start, with the big coin you can reach if you climb on its wall and tightrope all the way to it. So go there, go to its north edge, and drop down on the cloud below.
mghavelock

Post by mghavelock »

You're an absolute star, Gez
cem26

Post by cem26 »

time to start new adventure ,i would play in atari for old times
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

So I did a 2 hour stream of the first 10 levels or so. Anyway, after you enter "Chapter 3" (the area up the stairs), I have a total of 9 souls (from chapter 1 and 2, and the bonus level). There's four more levels, totaling to 13 souls, but the "enchanted stairs" demand 15. Where are the other two levels?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

blackfish wrote:So I did a 2 hour stream of the first 10 levels or so. Anyway, after you enter "Chapter 3" (the area up the stairs), I have a total of 9 souls (from chapter 1 and 2, and the bonus level). There's four more levels, totaling to 13 souls, but the "enchanted stairs" demand 15. Where are the other two levels?
There are 2 secret levels, you can unlock them by
Spoiler:
SyntherAugustus

Thanks. I'll start the next stream by doing just that!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

blackfish wrote:Thanks. I'll start the next stream by doing just that!
Don't forget to post the stream link :wink:
SyntherAugustus

edit: After editing and merging I can't make YT happy. So here's the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B9XKJEXYoe

Sorry I missed the post. Anyway http://www.twitch.tv/august55/

However, as of this post I just did my part 2. I have the three bonus levels left past the 17th golden soul. I may stream tonight or tuesday depending on the mood.

I'm hopefully going to have a big ol YT video at some point this week featuring everything.

edit: Part 3's stream is done. That space ghost level had a serious problem where I couldn't figure out how to get to the clocktower, so I ended up noclipping it. Not fun. I have to merge some videos but I'll have a three part series of my playthrough available maybe late tomorrow.

Some feedback in the meantime:

-Thanks for making the health less for those rose things.
-Speaking of those, I thought it was silly I could AK snipe them half of the time as their fireball was ranged.
-The "hug wall and get red coin" thing in the second level was silly.
-The desert level suffered from a problem where if the player had not enough health, they could potentially be stranded and not be able to swim in the sand. Why no rad suit?
-Several, if not all, of the red coin levels had a problem of momentum. I would get 7 coins only to have to figure out where the last one is hiding and waste up to 10 minutes trying to figure out where it is. Two of these (Space Ghost House and Lucy in the Sky with Coins) were so "well hidden" that I ended up cheating to get them after wasting 20 minutes a pop trying to find them.
-Many of the maps suffered from "what does this switch do?" syndrome. If a switch does something useful and it's not obvious, at least maybe spawn an arrow made of coins to point the player where to go. I had to guess with the automap on several occasions. I think the worst offender was the Crayon level.
-The red coins themselves could have been more obvious looking objects like the golden souls or doomguy coins. On a few occasions, they blended into the map a bit too much. The lunar map was the worst offender, as the red coin blended with the dead demons.
-There's a point in the first video that had me confused on how to deal with the ghosts. While innovative, having them simply to translucent doesn't tell the average doom player squat that they have to look away. They should have covered their eyes maybe, as the Mario ones do.
-Speaking of the ghost level, where were the health pickups? <_<
-The flying stealth mages were awful after dealing with them for the 50th time. I lost patience with them really quickly.
-The spike gun was very underpowered.
-I'm not sure if I agree with the inability to properly semifire the autoshotgun.
-In Rainbow citadel, a number of the jump pads flung me to my death.

It was a lot of fun, but all these nitpicks make it hard to want to play it again.
Last edited by SyntherAugustus on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Thank you, this will be really useful for both GS1 and GS2 :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

blackfish wrote:edit: Part 3's stream is done. That space ghost level had a serious problem where I couldn't figure out how to get to the clocktower, so I ended up noclipping it. Not fun.
I found it was a nice puzzle, personally.
Spoiler:
SyntherAugustus

Gez wrote:
blackfish wrote:edit: Part 3's stream is done. That space ghost level had a serious problem where I couldn't figure out how to get to the clocktower, so I ended up noclipping it. Not fun.
I found it was a nice puzzle, personally.
Spoiler:
Ah.

I really wish I saw that in the one video I found regarding that level (during the stream, lol). Instead it was nothing but darkness. My brain normally reserves that sort of thing for secrets, though.

edit: @Batandy: Have you considered a challenge mode where the player pistol starts each level?
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I found out about it on my first try, it was very clever actually.
matatrolls

Post by matatrolls »

hi i try the last releace, the 1.3.. and it was very fun... but a got a visual bug...and it's very anoying

[/img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... d710a9943b[/img]

this happends everytime i see plants and flowers... and it get fixed went i manege to shot a demon... but sometimes it's almous imposible to shot something that you can't see...

I hope you can help me qiht this, i want to play this so bad...
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

matatrolls wrote:hi i try the last releace, the 1.3.. and it was very fun... but a got a visual bug...and it's very anoying

[/img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... d710a9943b[/img]

this happends everytime i see plants and flowers... and it get fixed went i manege to shot a demon... but sometimes it's almous imposible to shot something that you can't see...

I hope you can help me qiht this, i want to play this so bad...
I don't think that's related to the mod, have you tried messing with the settings in gzdoom? For example try changing the "adjust sprite clipping" in the opengl settings
matatrolls

Post by matatrolls »

mm na, try everything but nothing happend, make a video with the problem...

Last edited by wildweasel on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your Youtube embed. In the future, there are handy instructions on how to do it correctly in the Official Rules thread.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”