more control over light effects

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

heidi2

more control over light effects

Post by heidi2 »

I can't get myself to use the light effects because there's some things I like and some I strongly dislike. Generally I like to keep my Doom on the conservative side

What I really like: the static light sources (candles, torches etc) add great atmosphere to the geometry

What I find irritating (doesnt integrate well with my feel of Doom): things like fireballs. The contrast from modern and traditional just becomes to obvious (also for example I dislike the high-def blood splatter some addons provide because they look out of place on low-def wall textures).

Also really annoying: the muzzle flash lights.

So it would be nice if there were settings to control that.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: more control over light effects

Post by Rachael »

Before posting in a forum please double check that you are posting to the correct forum. This is twice now that I've had to move your threads, and that's out of the only 2 you've created so far.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Thankfully this is something you can easily do as a mod. The default lights.pk3 file has lighting definitions for everything you mentioned. Simply make a copy of this file, open it like a .zip, and navigate to the [wiki=GLDEFS]gldefs.txt[/wiki] file for the game you're interested in (in this case it will be at filter/doom.id/gldefs.txt). All the light definitions should be named clearly. Simply delete the ones you don't want, save the file, and load that as a mod instead of the default lights.pk3.

8-)
heidi2

Post by heidi2 »

@Caligari87 cool, exactly what I need :)

@Rachael huh, really? that's odd, sorry bout that
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is no classification of light types,so it's either all or nothing. A user-side mod would be the only option here.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”