Some general suggestions

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Apprentice

Some general suggestions

Post by Apprentice »

1) Will the ability be added to the launcher to select which monitor the game will output to (See this screenshot) ??

I run a three-screen setup and for some reason, Windows 10 likes to 're-arrange' the numbers assigned to my screens and this often results that the game runs on the wrong screen (1680x1050 letter-boxed on a 1280x1024 or 1024x768 screen isn't pretty :X). I know that there is a console command (vid_adapter) that I frequently use but to have such an option available in the launcher (or/and in the menu of the game itself) where I can see which screen is going to used, would be a very welcome addition.

2) Will the ability be added to play GZDoom on more then one monitor ??

Just for the heck of it. If I can play Alien Isolation and the last Deus Ex games and have my remote connection to the office on more then one screen, why not GZ Doom ?? :D

3) Will be ability be added for GZDoom to look by default for IWAD's one folder up ??

This is something that I have come across multiple source ports and isn't limited to GZDoom only. I run a tight and clean folder structure where the IWAD's are located in my \Games\ZDoom folder together with ZDoom's latest 2.8.1 release. All other ports that I use and have used, all had their own folder in my ZDoom folder (ZDoom\GZDoom for GZDoom, ZDoom\Zandronum for Zandronum, ZDoom\Odamex for Odamex, etc, etc, etc). I purposely do this so that the files from one source port cannot accidental disrupt or completely break the functions and/or features from one or more of the other source ports and to be honest, I don't think I am the only who has organised its folder structure this way.

For GZDoom, I've manually added in the .INI file the line "Path=.." to the [IWADSearch.Directories] so that GZDoom (and all Zdoom derivates who are using the same format) will look for the IWAD's one folder up but the moment I setup a clean install or install GZDoom on another computer using the same folder structure as described above, I have to add the line again in my .INI file. I would like to see that GZDoom and LZDoom by default adds the following lines into the *.INI configuration file:

Code: Select all

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=..
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
To broaden this subject and I don't know if they are active as well here, I would like to suggest the same feature to be included in their respective ports who do not use the ZDoom and derivates .INI style/format to store their configurations (for Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom, I have the use the -iwad ..\doom.wad parameter in order to play those ports), so that I don't have to copy all of my IWAD's (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, hexdd.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad, doom1.wad, nerve.wad, doom2bfg.wad, hexen.wad, freedoom1.wad, freedoom2.wad) in each and every respective source port folder.

Thank you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Some general suggestions

Post by Rachael »

Please separate out your suggestions into separate topics. Multi-suggestions are difficult to track.

1 is a maybe. Anybody with a little time and knowledge of the API can do this - but the launcher window is getting congested as it is - and with a system that is likely to be replaced in the future with something more platform-agnostic, it's not desirable to invest much effort into it.
2 is unlikely. Such a thing would have to account for the possibly unique resolution of each monitor - which is not possible to do with the current rendering code and would require a lot of work to accomplish.
3 is a definite no. You can do this in your config file on your own, anyway. Everyone has different setups and it's up to you to tailor it to your own needs - that is the whole point of the configuration file, to begin with.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Apprentice wrote:2) Will the ability be added to play GZDoom on more then one monitor ??
I think you can already do that in windowed mode; drag the window to sit across both screens.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Rachael wrote:1 is a maybe. Anybody with a little time and knowledge of the API can do this - but the launcher window is getting congested as it is - and with a system that is likely to be replaced in the future with something more platform-agnostic, it's not desirable to invest much effort into it.
Understandable, especially when it's going to be replaced. Is there a time frame available for when it's going to be implemented ??
2 is unlikely. Such a thing would have to account for the possibly unique resolution of each monitor - which is not possible to do with the current rendering code and would require a lot of work to accomplish.
Though it would've made some nice pictures on Instagram and/or a nice showcase with Jay and Kyle . . . :D
3 is a definite no. You can do this in your config file on your own, anyway. Everyone has different setups and it's up to you to tailor it to your own needs - that is the whole point of the configuration file, to begin with.
I'm quite puzzled by this abrupt response since ZDoom and GZDoom contain features that aren't part of the original game and those can be implemented. I agree with you that it is undoable to support exotic locations (usr/bin/drinking/s/usual/iwadhere, shooters/wads) but I don't think it's that of a far-fetched idea that people do store GZDoom and other ports in the way I have described before, in their (original) Doom folder. It's only one line extra that the game needs to write in the .INI file and in my opinion, it is something that should've been implemented in ZDoom 1. Apparently it can't have "Path=.." but the .INI can have "Path=$DOOMWADDIR", "Path=$HOME" and "Path=$PROGDIR" where the game can look at other locations for its necessary data, so I am quite puzzled why the game cannot be made by default to look one folder up for the IWAD's . . .

Gez wrote:I think you can already do that in windowed mode; drag the window to sit across both screens.
No, it can't or at least I wasn't able to do that. Even when I click on the border with the window drag cursor visible, the mouse goes to the game instead.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”