Make HW sector light mode names clearer

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xeotroid
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Make HW sector light mode names clearer

Post by Xeotroid »

There's quite a few different sector light modes in the hardware renderer, and the way they are named are far from ideal for the common user, in my opinion. For instance, the old "Doom" option is just a variation of the Standard mode, while a common user might think it's supposed to be a faithful emulation of "the old Doom". (Yes, someone who knows the software renderer knows it's much different, but I'm talking about possible first time players booting up Doom - though that brings up the question whether "Software" shouldn't be the default setting, since a user's first thing usually isn't to go to renderer options, but that's a different topic)
Then there's a difference between "Software" and "Vanilla" modes, both of which attempt the same thing but only the former is actually mostly faithful to the original renderer. Similarly, many users might be confused by what "Legacy", I don't know how well known that port is nowadays.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest a possible clean-up of those names. My ideas are below, but they sound a bit clunky to me, so take it as just a conversation starter / starting point of sorts. What do you think? I can see the negative of the terminology change causing possible confusion; better options than what I propose should diminish that, though.

Code: Select all

Standard | Modern Standard
Bright   | Modern Bright
Doom     | Modern "Doom"
Dark     | Modern Dark
Build    | Build Emulation
Legacy   | Doom Legacy Emulation
Software | Classic Doom (Faithful)
Vanilla  | Classic Doom (Older)
On a partially related note: Is the user notified in any way if the GLSL-based light modes fall back to the "Doom" mode? If not, perhaps a message in the menu telling the user that those two are not available should be shown, if possible.
chunks
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Make HW sector light mode names clearer

Post by chunks »

I like it.
Also count me in for camp "Software" being default ;)

Return to “Feature Suggestions”