Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:27 am

Hello/Hi there GZDevs may I add a small contribution. it's been years that the port still uses the SkullTag or Zandronum crouch sprite (correct me if I'm wrong) hence I propose a a new crouch sprite I've been working in this for a month or so it's a small way if me saying Thank you for all of your work.

Here's the sprite sheet:

And here's the sprite cut individually and ready to be used/put to the source port:

And a video comparison to boot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TommyGalano5 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:42 am

If you want it to be adopted officially, maybe this should be in the feature suggestion forum instead? I can move it if you want.

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 am

What about a visual comparison? You have to convince us that these are better!

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 am

Yes, as Graf said, a side-by-side or other kind of comparison would be much appreciated.

EDIT: But that said, I do agree with Gez: this feels like a Feature Request thread, not a General Discussion.

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Gez wrote:I can move it if you want.

Sure I still don't know how to use the forums persé

Graf Zahl wrote:What about a visual comparison? You have to convince us that these are better!

Oh sorry I've forgotten to post this

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 pm

I've been seeing the posts where these sprites were being made and I really do think they look better, I do not need a side by side comparison.

The only thing that I am worried about is whether the color remapping is going to color the player's uniform correctly or not, but outside of that, I personally would be ready to accept these as-is. I understand it's subjective and this is only my opinion but there it is for you.

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:50 pm

I can only give my artist opinion - while it is indeed an improvement over the current ones (in terms of shading and animation), I still think the animation quality isn't the best it could be - if I were assigned to do these, I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with this animation.

Specifically, what I mean is that only the legs are actually individually animated, while the entire upper body is obviously copy-pasted across all the frames. Passable, and by no means terrible; just not of the highest quality. :)

As I said though - animation quality aside, these are still better than what's already available.

Just my opinion.

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:04 am

Crouch walking on those sprites reminds me of this for some reason:

Image

Re: Updating the old GZDoom Crouch sprites

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 am

Rachael wrote:I've been seeing the posts where these sprites were being made and I really do think they look better, I do not need a side by side comparison.

The only thing that I am worried about is whether the color remapping is going to color the player's uniform correctly or not, but outside of that, I personally would be ready to accept these as-is. I understand it's subjective and this is only my opinion but there it is for you.


Oh it's changeable I always use the Doom PAL. file on some of my sprites


Nash wrote:I can only give my artist opinion - while it is indeed an improvement over the current ones (in terms of shading and animation), I still think the animation quality isn't the best it could be - if I were assigned to do these, I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with this animation.

Specifically, what I mean is that only the legs are actually individually animated, while the entire upper body is obviously copy-pasted across all the frames. Passable, and by no means terrible; just not of the highest quality. :)

As I said though - animation quality aside, these are still better than what's already available.

Just my opinion.


Huh now that you mentioned it is does lack extra frames, the reason why I've copy & pasting the sprite was just to save time if this is a problem then I can change or update it

Accensus wrote:Crouch walking on those sprites reminds me of this for some reason


Hahahahaha :mrgreen: how did you figured it out!?