Feral GameMode integration

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

lumbo7332
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Fedora Kinoite
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Feral GameMode integration

Post by lumbo7332 »

The Feral GameMode daemon optimizes Linux system performance whenever a game asks for it or you enable it manually. It would be cool if GZDoom would automatically request GameMode activation whenever it runs. Here's the repository: https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Feral GameMode integration

Post by Matt »

On the one hand, I'd be surprised if GZDoom doesn't do its own version of this already in a way that would make this redundant or incompatible.

On the other, a bit off topic but was this what they used for the Life Is Strange Linux port? (It's really good)
lumbo7332

Post by lumbo7332 »

On the one hand, I'd be surprised if GZDoom doesn't do its own version of this already in a way that would make this redundant or incompatible.
I doubt it. GameMode tunes the system automatically when a game loads up. If GZDoom is doing that, it really shouldn't be. I think it would even need root access.
On the other, a bit off topic but was this what they used for the Life Is Strange Linux port? (It's really good)
Yeah, it's used for that.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

......wait, so you're saying that I managed, as an unsophisticated user, to install something from Steam and run it without doing anything unusual, that never asks for root credentials, but has root access every time!? :shock:

...so I just tried to kill Steam without sudo and that worked fine... running it seems fine and it doesn't look like I'm running it as root......

...started up LiS, opening up htop, says the owner is the user...
.......and now it won't fucking start since the last Steam update lmaooooooo never say anything good ever one of those times I finally have to restart the computer (probably just the X server? but whatev)
It's definitely running as user not root. No issues with performance since I last played.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't know - but to me this looks like some snake oil thing for compulsive tinkerers, not like some genuinely desirable feature.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:I don't know - but to me this looks like some snake oil thing for compulsive tinkerers, not like some genuinely desirable feature.
Yes - that's what it looks like to me, too.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Huge amount of mods multiplied by nearly infinite combinations of hardware raises just one question. Even if this feature will be integrated, who will tune it for all these cases?
lumbo7332

Post by lumbo7332 »

_mental_ wrote:Huge amount of mods multiplied by nearly infinite combinations of hardware raises just one question. Even if this feature will be integrated, who will tune it for all these cases?
Nobody has to tune it. You just ask the daemon to enable it.
lumbo7332

Post by lumbo7332 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I don't know - but to me this looks like some snake oil thing for compulsive tinkerers, not like some genuinely desirable feature.
I wouldn't say it's snake oil. I've seen performance improvements when using it, Feral uses it for all their games, and it seems other people have had luck, seeing as it has over 2k stars on GitHub.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

lumbo7332 wrote:Nobody has to tune it. You just ask the daemon to enable it.
So, it shares the same configuration file for all games, right? How can we unsure that it won’t have negative effect then?
Actually, the integration itself is pretty straightforward. The complex part is to evaluate the effect of this feature.
lumbo7332 wrote:it seems other people have had luck, seeing as it has over 2k stars on GitHub.
Number of stars doesn’t mean anything. I saw several repos with high stars count that contained pure overhyped crap.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If anyone is going to implement this, let's make it optional, with the cvar defaulting to off. Anyone who wants to use this should have to opt-in, in my opinion.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”