Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:33 am

I bought a standard Shuttertsock license a while ago for something unrelated. And recently when I got inspired to continue working on my map pack, I got the idea that I could use that license to get images for textures and sprites (I edit them with GIMP to fit in the game, of course), but I was wondering if that's acceptable. Does the standard Shutterstock license cover this kind of use?

Re: Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:23 am

A quick skim over the Shutterstock License Agreement would certainly indicate that you can:
A STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images:

As a digital reproduction, including on websites, in online advertising, in social media, in mobile advertising, mobile "apps", software, (...)

Which I'd assume applies as long as you've actually paid for the image and aren't trying to airbrush out the watermark. ;)

Re: Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 am

wildweasel wrote:A quick skim over the Shutterstock License Agreement would certainly indicate that you can:
A STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images:

As a digital reproduction, including on websites, in online advertising, in social media, in mobile advertising, mobile "apps", software, (...)

Which I'd assume applies as long as you've actually paid for the image and aren't trying to airbrush out the watermark. ;)

Alright, thanks. And yes I did pay for it, besides my GIMP skills are WAAAY too low to even think about attempting to remove the watermark.