MD5 to MD2 skin issue

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
SPZ1

MD5 to MD2 skin issue

Post by SPZ1 »

I made an MD5 into an MD2 using QuArK but the skin part of the model is glitched completely. I can't get the MODELDEF skin reference to work. I can't get the Quake 2 Model Editor's skin functions to work either. I tried MilkShape 3D but the animation disappears. Blender also causes the animation to disappear. What else could I do to get the model's skin working? I know that I'm supposed to mimic Doom 3's resource structure in QuArK and I think I did it right. :?

I'll link to the file in question, FYI.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap4KZFMds2L1hG2gD8F ... p?e=6OAFnD
Cherno

Re: MD5 to MD2 skin issue

Post by Cherno »

I suggest using Noesis for converting models between formats.
SPZ1

Post by SPZ1 »

I just decompressed all of Doom 3's resources and it seems to have fixed the problem with the skin
WARCHILD_89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

why not convert into MD3 in the first place? I avoid having MD2 models. Many features in GZDoom won´t work with MD2
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

WARCHILD_89 wrote:Many features in GZDoom won´t work with MD2
For me, a far, far, far bigger problem is the inaccuracy of the MD2 format. Save a file as an MD2 and as an MD3 and then look at any part of the model where there are fine details (nicely shaped pointy bits, whatever). Chances are they will be fine in MD3 and a mess in MD2.
Consider these two close-ups the engine of Kyle Katarn's ship, the Ravensclaw, from Jedi Outcast.
Spoiler:

Not only that, if your model is animated, exactly where vertices are can change from one frame to the next in MD2 format. This can mean the whole model "wobbling" even if only one small part of it is animated.

So, yeah, seconding the suggestion of using MD3 rather than MD2 for additional reasons.

However, to try and answer your question, I'm not sure if Noesis supports MD5 but, if it does, it can export files to other formats and keep the animations if you set the export parameters correctly.

Maverick Model 3D is also good for converting between model formats, and keeping animations, but it doesn't support MD5.
WARCHILD_89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

However, to try and answer your question, I'm not sure if Noesis supports MD5 but, if it does, it can export files to other formats and keep the animations if you set the export parameters correctly.

Maverick Model 3D is also good for converting between model formats, and keeping animations, but it doesn't support MD5.

Noesis supports MD5 and its animations. If I want to, I could convert all Doom 3 models to MD3 and make them available, icluding the animations. But other people already did that.

Look at the attachment. MD3 format can bve very powerful if you know what you are doing ;-) That´s an old model though. If I try again, it will look even better.
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow, I'd forgotten just how low-precision and destructive MD2 is. That looks awful. :shock:

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”