Death Wyvern Arguments?

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 pm

I guess this is slightly more mapping than scripting...

I have been trying to use the Hexen Death Wyvern in a map and I noticed that both UDB and DeePsea think that the arguments for the Wyvern have a purpose.

However, the wiki page for the wyvern makes no mention of these arguments. What's more, the one in map12 of Hexen has a special (Door_Open) and so its arguments have changed to ones appropriate to that special (it will open sectors tagged 40 at a speed of 16).

The above implies to me that the thing arguments are at best optional and perhaps entirely redundant.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

Re: Death Wyvern Arguments?

Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:45 pm

It does not use the args, what it needs to set up its path through the level is a map spot with a matching tid.

The only monster misappropriating the args is the Heresiarch.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. That certainly reflects what I have seen in game when experimenting with it.

I wonder where both DeePsea and Doombuilder got the idea that the args refer to destination things?

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm

A confusion between the wyvern and its waypoints? Since the args of its waypoints will be used as TIDs of other waypoints.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 pm

I could see how that could have happened. Interesting that two different programs made the same mistake/assumption.

The UDB one seems to go right back to the original DoomBuilder:
Spoiler:

It does make me wonder if perhaps DeePSea was used as a reference here, seeing as how DeePsea pre-dates DB and would have already had this mistake in it by the time DB was being made.

[edit] Opened an issue on the UDB GitHub for this: https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoom ... issues/660 [/edit]

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:27 pm

And just for completeness, where the information came from has now been cleared up. From the GitHub issue:

biwa wrote:The arguments are described like that in the Hexen specs: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hoste ... spec09.txt

That's also where the name "Dragon Lich" comes from.

And, specifically the specs say:

Type: 254 Dragon Lich
arg0: TID of possible destination (required)
arg1: TID of possible destination (optional)
arg2: TID of possible destination (optional)
arg3: TID of possible destination (optional)
arg4: TID of possible destination (optional)