Re: Animated MD3 Door?

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 am

I know it's a bit late, but when I was doing this, I would have a pair of non-colliding visual-only things which were placed in the same spot as a pair of polyobjects. You move them all together, and it creates this nice effect of the MD3 models looking like the actual door, and the polyobjects controlling the collision. (meaning you can actually have the door try to close on the player, either self-reversing in the process or even crushing them, without them ending up inside the model)

The best bit is that polyobjects can be more complicated than a square when it comes to collision, and (if you do this all correctly) they can interact with the rendering / line-of-sight stuff the way you want a door to. You can also make the model really complicated in comparison with the polyobject, and even (once again, if you do it right) put in transparency or see-through or even shoot-through sections. It takes a bit of advanced scripting, but it's a method I recommend if you want to 100% maximize the impressiveness of your doors.