Alexagon wrote:Is there any advantage or reason to map in non UDMF formats? I'm thinking maybe I should convert my map?
Many reasons have been given to use map formats
for non_UDMF, non_GZDOOM levels:
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I want to make maps to reach the greatest number of audience
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because it is the easiest format to map for
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I do not want to use any other editor than Doombuilder2, Ultimate Doom Builder is too complicated
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I am a Doom purist
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I only like the low resolution renderer
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I am too lazy to use anything else
- I map for the original Doom/Boom format because I hate GZDoom
Believe or not, those are the main reasons given, mainly on the Doomworld forum, by many mappers to avoid mapping for DiHF or UDMF. UDMF is a mapping standard which is embraced by more and more sourceports.
Personally, I don't mind anybody using the mapping format they want to use. But, given that so much more can be accomplished with UDMF, it boggles my mind that anybody could prefer the original Doom/Boom formats.
After more than 20 years of playing DOOM/DOOM2 maps, 95% of original Doom/Boom maps, to me, look and feel alike. True, the layout is different and some try to make them look uptodate with new texturepacks, but they still feel the same. The same flat look and lack of lighting variation. That leaves 5% of maps which could be classified as unique and superb because the map creators have put a lot of thought and effort into the map construction.
Well, I still play Doom/Boom maps which are downloaded from here or Doomworld, but more often than not, not more than once, and consequently they find the Recycle Bin.
For me the reasons that I map for GZDoom/UDB are:
- experiment with different construction concepts
- the expanded action special sets
- the ease with which new actors can be created
- textures can be used on walls and/or ceilings/floors
- the eyecandy of OpenGL/Vulkan
- dynamic lights and colouring
- ACS and/or ZSCRIPT
- boris's plugins, Stairbuilder, 3D, Visual Mode Editing
- etc, etc
Yes, there are also maps done in UDMF which did not really use any of the advanced features and could have been done just as well in the original mapping format, however they are mostly just showcases for first time mappers. As long as they have fun they should be encouraged and supported.
As I said above, a good map needs a lot of thought and effort, which is not accomplished overnight. Sometimes they take weeks or months, or even years. As with any complex program, to be proficient in mapping for GZDoom/UDB is a long term process.
If it can help you, take a look at the tutorials sections here
and the Wiki
, which are too frequently overlooked.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.