Idiotproof way to add mod items to DoomBuilder things mode?

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:08 am

Terribly sorry to waste your time with this, please be patient with me as I am brand new to this and know literally NOTHING apart from the stuff mentioned bellow... I searched the forum for previous answers and there were scattered stuff for this, but I did not find a simple description for it for my simple brain :(

What I want to do is to learn how to make weapons from mods show up as options to add in the things mode window of weapon builder, so I can place them as pickups in the map I created.

What I've learned so far is to load Doom builder with the Doom 2 Game configuration, then draw a map with the Linedefs button, and then with Things mode add a player spawn and add weapon pickups from the vanilla doom game (chaingun, plasma gun etc.). Also I have Slade installed and figured out simple stuff like opening pk3 files with it and navigating the folders and saving/moving some files from one to another.

Re: Idiotproof way to add mod items to DoomBuilder things mo

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:30 am

Well first thing first, what version precisely of Doom Builder are you using? And what are the items you want to add?

If you're talking about the old Doom Builder v1 or even v2, then they only know about DECORATE. The custom things you want to use have to be in that format and to define their editor number directly in their code. I think it's likewise for GZDoom Builder, I don't remember precisely if it ceased development before or after ZScript. I think it's also likewise for Doom Builder X since it was forked from Doom Builder 2 and its developer didn't focus on GZDoom stuff.

With GZDoom Builder Bugfix or Ultimate Doom Builder, on the other hand, there should be support for the more modern way of defining custom things' editor numbers in ZMAPINFO, and ZScript code is now also supported. Though obviously the old way of using DECORATE with editor numbers directly in the code is still supported.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:50 am

Gez wrote:what version precisely of Doom Builder are you using?

I have Doom Builder 2.1.2.1553, but will get whatever program and version you suggest as better.

Gez wrote:what are the items you want to add?

For example, lets say the weapons from the Russian Overkill mod.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:56 am

DECORATE format specifications tells you about the DECORATE style of DoomEdNum assignment.

MAPINFO/Editor number definition tells you how to set up DoomEdNums for either DECORATE or ZScript actors via MAPINFO.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 am

I really know nothing else about how anything works apart from what I mentioned, so I need very specific description of steps that starts from the beggining to understand how to proceed, for example, open file X of the X wad with slade, and copy X text into X line of the file named X, then open doombuilder and load X profile, etc.

Or at least something resembling that so I can get my bearings and understand wtf is going on.

If it is so much harder than I had in mind and not worth someone that knows about this stuff taking the time describing it in detail, then I understand, no prob was worth a try, don't really wanna waste anyone's time for this

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:25 am

Well, weapons are actually not the simplest things to start with, because they have to interface with the player. I'd suggest starting with a monster or decorative item.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Ernest Cacklehen wrote:I really know nothing else about how anything works apart from what I mentioned, so I need very specific description of steps that starts from the beggining to understand how to proceed, for example, open file X of the X wad with slade, and copy X text into X line of the file named X, then open doombuilder and load X profile, etc.

Or at least something resembling that so I can get my bearings and understand wtf is going on.

If it is so much harder than I had in mind and not worth someone that knows about this stuff taking the time describing it in detail, then I understand, no prob was worth a try, don't really wanna waste anyone's time for this

How I do stuff like this is:

1. Make a folder for my mod.
2. When opening my map in the editor, I add the folder as a resource.
3. In the mod folder, I have a mapinfo file. Mine is called MAPINFO.dec (the .dec part is just something I do for my own reasons, your file can simply be MAPINFO) this file I edit with notepad.
4. In my MAPINFO I have the editor numbers per the link Cherno posted. Like:
Code:
DoomEdNums
{
  11001 = MarblePillar
  11002 = GreenCard
}

If you do it like this, you need to make sure the map has access to the thing you want to add. If it's a weapon wad, add the wad to the folder. There are more complex ways of doing it, but this is a start.