Texture/Flat is overridden by cameratexture with same name..

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:19 pm

What does this mean? I'm pulling out my hair.

I moved my ANIMDEFS to a Resources.pk3 file from my .wad file and this error started to pop up in Ultimate Doom Builder. The map still functions as intended. But I don't like these ugly error messages! Can someone tell me what I did wrong here? I'm sure it's something simple and stupid that I'm overlooking.

Flat "MONITOR1" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Texture "MONITOR1" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Flat "MONITOR2" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Texture "MONITOR2" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Flat "MONITOR3" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Texture "MONITOR3" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Flat "MONITOR4" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Texture "MONITOR4" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Flat "MONITOR5" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".
Texture "MONITOR5" is overridden by CameraTexture with the same name in resource "Resources.pk3".

Thanks community!

Re: Texture/Flat is overridden by cameratexture with same na

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for getting this approved so fast. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in when I posted it. Sorry about that!

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:06 am

Well obviously it means that you have camera textures named MONITOR1 to MONITOR5 defined in ANIMDEFS, and you also have textures named MONITOR1 to MONITOR5, and you also also have flats named MONITOR1 to MONITOR5.

So the editor is warning you that for each of these names, there can be only one! and it's gonna be the camera textures that win. Your textures and flats will not be shown.

The fix is to not give the same name to different resources.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:21 am

See, I thought of that. So I went through all my resources and couldn’t find any flats or textures named Monitor1-Monotor5. So I renamed my cameratextures to something different and got the same error again, but with the new name. And it repeats this error 12 times.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 am

Ah. Well then, is it possible your ANIMDEFS gets loaded twice? Maybe there's still a copy of it in your .wad file?

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:42 am

I made sure it was deleted. I even opened a brand new map using ONLY the plutonia iwad, gzdoom.pk3, and my resources.pk3. Same issue... see why I'm pulling my hair out? lol

Thought there might be another copy of ANIMDEFS in my PK3 archive, but I can't find one.

You know what tho, when I get home I will check my Maps folder for an old wad. It's possible there's still one there. Would that cause it?

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 am

Hindsight2020 wrote: Would that cause it?

That depends on how you load the pwads into the game engine.

• Simply using drag/drop ensures that only that/those pwad(s) are loaded.
  • If you use a launcher, maybe some other pwads may still be selected.

However, that problem is intriguing.
Could/would you be able to upload the pwad, or just the troubling part, for perusal.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:26 pm

OK. So while I was preparing my pk3 for upload I discovered something interesting. Since this is a resources pk3, I had included texture wads from the 667 repository. SIX of them have their own ANIMDEFS lump. Those were the 6 causing all the errors. I don't quite understand how, because none of the ANIMDEFS lumps defined MONITOR1-MONITOR5 flat or textures. So why was it saying it was overriding Flats / Textures with the same name?

Is there something I'm not understanding, or is this a bug?

While I'm on this subject, is there a way to include multiple ANIMDEFS by #include? Like DECORATE allows?

Thanks again, everyone!

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:30 pm

It may be a bug in Builder, like it detects there are several ANIMDEFS lumps and so it tries to load them but instead it just loads the same lump repeatedly? I don't know. I'd suggest reporting it in the UDB thread, and maybe preparing some sort of minimal example to reproduce (a pk3 with an ANIMDEFS lump that defines a camera texture, a wad with another ANIMDEFS lump without camera textures, most of the content of both can be removed as long as the error message still happens).