Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Fri May 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi there.

I've tried this to achieve that Hexen's "double sky" effect,but the game does only show sky2. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced. :)


edit:

If it maybe make it easier, this is my MAPINFO settings for the map:

Code:
map MAP01 "OH CEUS"
{
next = "MAP02"
sky1 = "SKYWALL" 1.0 //sky1 = "STARRY"
Sky2 = "SKY01B" 0.5
DoubleSky
lightmode = 0
//Bordertexture = "NULL"
//cluster = 2
CheckSwitchRange
UsePlayerStartZ
}

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Mon May 24, 2021 4:15 am

Have you made sure that both the Sky1 and Sky2 texture have the same dimensions ? e.g that both of them are 256x128

Because if one of the Skies appears pitch black, then that's probably the issue.

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Mon May 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Both images have the same size, but they are 256 x 256. These are the gfx:


Spoiler:


But all I get is this, the second 'layer' sky. (img too big to appear here.)


__

I've also tried with these other two 1024X240 skies: #1 and #2 (wich uses transparency instead of pitch black pixels).

But, along side with not having the transparent sky shown, the sky texture also seems to repeat itself in the air four times! :o

__

What i'm trying to achieve is something more or less just like those skies in Quake1, wich some distant cloud skies with some more near clouds 'on top' of the more far away cloud sky texture.

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Tue May 25, 2021 2:30 am

Ravick wrote:..... , the sky texture ]also seems to repeat itself in the air four times[/url]! :o


That the sky repeats itself in each cardinal direction is expected behaviour for single patch skies.
That there is a noticeable break where it repeats is also an expected behaviour when the image is not tiled properly.

Also:
Are you sure that the sky images have a proper transparency?

---------

I made a quick test map. The textures are not very good, but I emphasized the transparent parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Wed May 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Alright I just ended up downloading the WAD you uploaded in the original post and trying to fix the double sky on it. The first thing I tried is giving the foreground sky layer some transparency by just removing the black from it. Since the foreground layer needs to be transparent for the back layer to appear. Doing that seems to have fixed the skybox's appearance in the editor. With the background clouds now appearing behind the foreground ones, but in-game the same issue still seems to persist.

And the reason for the issue still appearing in-game, is because the background sky was a single row of pixels shorter than the foreground, being 256x255 instead of 256x256.

Also to make the scrolling on the sky work in-game, you need to add a coma between the name of the sky and the scroll speed. Like this: sky1 = "SKYWALL", 1.0

TL;DR make the foreground clouds transparent, make the background clouds 256x256, and add a coma in sky1 and sky2 between the name of the sky texture and its' scroll speed.

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Kappes Buur wrote:
Ravick wrote:..... , the sky texture ]also seems to repeat itself in the air four times[/url]! :o


That the sky repeats itself in each cardinal direction is expected behaviour for single patch skies.
That there is a noticeable break where it repeats is also an expected behaviour when the image is not tiled properly.


It seems hat the image is not being totally shown. I mean, this is the sky used here, but it seems that the four 'parts' of the sky do not show the entire image. Can't skies with those dimensions be used?


inkoalawetrust wrote:And the reason for the issue still appearing in-game, is because the background sky was a single row of pixels shorter than the foreground, being 256x255 instead of 256x256.


:o
I've totally missed that!


Kappes Buur wrote:Also:
Are you sure that the sky images have a proper transparency?
(...), but I emphasized the transparent parts.


inkoalawetrust wrote:(...)The first thing I tried is giving the foreground sky layer some transparency by just removing the black from it. Since the foreground layer needs to be transparent for the back layer to appear.
.

I remember kinda vaguely reading that pixels with pitch black color would be transparent, but I guess I was totally wrong. What image edition programs do you guys use/recommend for this task? (I am very noob about 'moderm' image editing programs...)

___

BTW, thank you both! :)

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Thu May 27, 2021 10:25 am

Ravick wrote: What image edition programs do you guys use/recommend for this task? (I am very noob about 'moderm' image editing programs...


I use an old version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro, version 7.04, or
an old version of Corel Paint Shop Pro, version X3,
to set transparency and tile images, depending on complexity.
So, not that modern :)

and/or the latest Paint.net, for which one can get plug-ins for just about anything image related.

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:39 pm

I'll check these out. :) I'm kinda of a caveman with image editing. I... still use paint for many stuff. :mrgreen:

Thank you. :)
(And I'm sorry for the late responde. =D)

Re: Trying to learn to use "doublesky".

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:57 am

Just throwing this out there. Your 'wide' sky being chopped like that? Make sure the TEXTURE matches the dimensions of the sky. A 256x2048 patch, for an example, could be cut to 128x256 in the TEXTURE lump.