3d Models Showup in editor but not in game

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Devlin

3d Models Showup in editor but not in game

Post by Devlin »

I've been working on a map for years now, and all of it's custom content is contained within a WAD. Recently i've been experimenting with importing models into my map. To circumvent having to reformat all of the content i've added into my WAD into a PK3, I have a separate model PK3 which contains all of my 3D assets. I load this up alongside the DOOM2 base WAD in Ultimate Doom Builder. I've made one test object and I cannot for the life of me get it to work.

The Model shows up fine in the map editor when I combine the WAD and the PK3 in UDB

And when I load the model alone its fine aswell

But when I load my map, it's invisible with collision

If I unload the PK3, than it shows up as an Error, so it's definitely loading the model

Any pros out there with experience? 3d models seem to be uncharted territory if these last few days are anything to go off of.
Enjay

Re: 3d Models Showup in editor but not in game

Post by Enjay »

If a model isn't working in game, there is usually a message at the console that gives some clue as to what might be going on (a common one is being unable to find the model skin). Do you have any such message?
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

If you load this model with just doom2.wad and your resources (where your md3 model file and its texture is) pk3 - it works fine.

Then you load your map and that thing disappears. Then I'd check if your map has another "decorate" file inside and if your problematic thing's actor conflicts with anything. Say your model in decorate has a type 124 and your map's inside decorate has an actor that has a type of 124 too! Duplicate types are not acceptable.

Download and install Slade, open your pk3 with it, find a sprite that was assigned to your 3d model and try to correct the offset in order to center it.

In the end of it, perform a fool check, load up your map in the editor, right click on your actor and check if a correct display mode was selected and you may just have it on None.

Also, check the actor flags and do everything like shown here.
Attachments
ThingSettings.png
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I checked the ID its all good, but without you I would have have been stuck for a whiiiile. Funny how the human brain works. As you know, PK3 files have sub directories like sounds, models, graphics, ect ect. Last night I was trying to figure out a way to remove folders so I could run a bunch of models in a standalone WAD. The base PK3 I've been using apparently had no sub directories, and it was a file issue! Wow I feel dumb! Everything working now :)

Return to “Mapping”