SpringPadZone in ZDoom?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Is there any way to replicate the effects of Skulltag's "SpringPadZone" in ZDoom? You can walk over it without bouncing, and jumping on it once will make you bounce slightly until you walk off, but holding jump lets you bounce higher and higher each time you land back on the spring.

Re: SpringPadZone in ZDoom?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:17 am

I reckon you might be able to do this with ZScript. Just make a custom Sector Action.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:36 am

SanyaWaffles wrote:I reckon you might be able to do this with ZScript. Just make a custom Sector Action.

Could you perhaps give me an example or point me towards somewhere i can learn about that? I've never touched ZScript before. :P

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 am

it's a bit complex. I'll see what I can come up with, I can't promise anything.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 am

Thank you regardless!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:21 am

i was looking for the same thing, since zandronum (in which springpad zone works) does not update anymore. I found that in the source code of the 0.97c2 version of skulltag it´s defined. Following the thread of definitions, i stuck in "r_defs.h", line 218, which says " SECF_SPRINGPAD = 2, // [BC] Floor bounces actors up at the same velocity they landed on it with.
". i can´t find anything else, but this line also does not tell me anything. where is "secf_springpad" defined?. I´ll keep on searching

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:48 am

Could it be emulated using ThrustThingZ and Actor Hits Floor?

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 pm

maybe, but you need to make calculations with vectors and... is it even possible in gzdoom or zdoom?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am

Have a look at the jumppads in Siberian Tiger's Abandoned Misery

Spoiler:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am

Kappes Buur wrote:Have a look at the jumppads in Siberian Tiger's Abandoned Misery

Spoiler:

Those aren't what I mean. I mean the SpringPadZones from Skulltag. Also, MAN I've never played such a laggy map before!