Can I have a sound play without reverb underwater?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
R4L
Discord: R4L#4655
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Can I have a sound play without reverb underwater?

Post by R4L »

Just as the title asks. I have set up a small cutscene where a series of events happen. Here's the script:

Spoiler:

So, first thing that happens after player loses control, a sound effect is played. The camera is changed to a moving camera in a sector that is a 3D floor made swimmable. I have two Sound Environment things (25 and 26) that I have for turning reverb on and off, just as the REVERB wiki says, and the entire sector is a sound barrier. For some reason, the sound plays with underwater reverb. I want to play the sound normal, and then have the reverb back on for when the floor raises. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Also, I've realized that once the camera moves out of the water, reverb is still present... WTF!

Here's a video to show you:
Nevander

Re: Can I have a sound play without reverb underwater?

Post by Nevander »

There is an option in the sound settings to disable underwater reverb, although it's a user setting and it disables them globally when underwater. I don't think there is another way to disable them on a per sector basis unfortunately but I may be wrong.
R4L

Post by R4L »

Well the wiki says you can disable it by creating a Sound Environment thing with the properties 0,0 and making the sector's linedefs have the sound zone barrier property, which is entirely what I did, but alas... :\
Chris
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Post by Chris »

You can make individual sounds play without reverb by playing it on the UI channel, I believe (unless there's a NOREVERB sound flag? internally there is, but I think that's only accessible to the outside by using the UI sound channel, though I could be wrong).

As for why it still sounds like it's underwater despite moving out of it, that seems like a bug. Perhaps the listener state isn't being properly updated with the remote cameras or something. That's dealing with the higher level code I'm not familiar with, unfortunately.
R4L

Post by R4L »

I'll have to try playing it on the UI channel to see. Thanks for the suggestion!

If that indeed is a bug, I hope the devs can squash it. 8-)

Return to “Mapping”