Weapon game feel

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Okgo5555
Discord: Okgo5555

Weapon game feel

Post by Okgo5555 »

have been musing about what id's next shooter would have been if it was an iterative step rather than an entirely new approach like they did with quake. So, it got me thinking about what features were in the "doom clones" of the time that realistically could have found their way into whatever the DooM after DooM 2 would have been.

What came to mind was the way the weapon spites scaled ever so slightly when the player was moving in ROTT from 1995. I always thought that this small touch did a good job of making the hud weapon sprites feel immersive and made the player pawn feel less like a kill vehicle that has a 2d representation of its weapon. I thought it made a real difference in the "game feel" of the weapons.

Is there a way to intergrate this in a gzdoom mod? Is there some relatively workable way to emulate this touch?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Weapon game feel

Post by Matt »

Would you happen to have a vid or a pair of screenshots showing this effect? I tried to look up some ROTT longplays and I can't see it.
Okgo5555
Discord: Okgo5555

Post by Okgo5555 »

Goto 2:14:30 and pay attention to when the player picks up the bazooka. Just look at the weapon sprite during the sway animation. You will notice that the weapon sprite scales up and down as part of the weapon sway while the player moves.

[url]
https://youtu.be/ITbehdRJUiY
[/url]
ramon.dexter
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Sorry, but barely noticeable.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Yeah, I also don't notice it.
However if you want to scale the HUD sprites then you could try using A_OverlayScale.
I never used it before so you will have to experiment a bit.

Return to “Scripting”