Exhumed/Powerslave style gibbing

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
AshHouswares
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Exhumed/Powerslave style gibbing

Post by AshHouswares »

I need a little help with this

I tried using DropItem in the DECORATE but it's not having quite the same effect. People that know Exhumed/Powerslave well will know high damage to monsters causes them to burst and explode into a scatter or pieces and gibs all over the floor. I'm trying to have the same effect with my project. As I say Drop Item works but not quite to the same effect. In Exhumed they splatter lots of pieces everywhere. I know it can be done. Brutal Doom for example seems to try something to a similar extent. Any advice on the best way to replicate this behaviour?
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Re: Exhumed/Powerslave style gibbing

Post by wildweasel »

Most gib effects in ZDoom are made using projectile actors, coupled with either A_SpawnItemEx functions (which allow customization of angle and velocity along all 3 axes), or A_SpawnDebris (a Hexen function with limited functionality, but it takes care of much of the math for you).
AshHouswares

Post by AshHouswares »

After reading through the wiki for A_SpawnDebris. Just to confirm this is a Decorate method? Or is it ZScript or something else because it suggests a lot of stuff I usually use in ACS so just trying to clarify.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

As Weasel said, A_SpawnDebris is a Hexen function and it existed long, long before ZScript was even a twinkle in anyone's eye, so yes it will work in DECORATE.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Post by wildweasel »

Both functions work fine in Decorate, so you've got options.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Something else you can look at for an enemy that really explode into a lot of pieces is A_Burst. Does what it says on the tin, replace the actor by a bunch of other actors. Natively it's used by Hexen when frozen monsters blow up into a lot of ice chunks. You could use something like a random spawner to vary the kind of gibs that it spawns, as long as they're unrecognizable chunks of gore that would work well enough. Or you could go for a ROTT-like ludicrous gibs effect where nobody cares if an enemy explodes into three eyeballs and fifteen tibias.
AshHouswares

Post by AshHouswares »

Gez wrote:Something else you can look at for an enemy that really explode into a lot of pieces is A_Burst. Does what it says on the tin, replace the actor by a bunch of other actors. Natively it's used by Hexen when frozen monsters blow up into a lot of ice chunks. You could use something like a random spawner to vary the kind of gibs that it spawns, as long as they're unrecognizable chunks of gore that would work well enough. Or you could go for a ROTT-like ludicrous gibs effect where nobody cares if an enemy explodes into three eyeballs and fifteen tibias.

I actually quite like the insane gibbing of random parts. Look at the Exhumed piranahs for example. How many times have you killed one of those only to have it burst into 6 fish bodies. Hilarious.

Many thanks to wildweasle, 22alpha22 and Gez, time to give all these ideas a go and experiment with what works best. Thank you.

EDIT: Okay I've gone with the A_SpawnDebris method and it works excellent, just what I wanted, so thank you all. I do have one other question though relating to this. Is there a way I can make it happen more often?

My monsters health is 100, and I have made the A_SpawnDebris only happen on XDEATH, meaning you'd have to gib them to make them explode like that. The problem is, in my game none of the weapons are really powerful enough to make it happen (at least not often). The only success I've had is when they are surrounded by barrels. And even then, it's very rare that this happens. I know PSXDOOM alterend this, meaning you could gib zombiemen etc. far more easily than in the original PC port, so I need something like that for my game. Without lowering the monsters health or overpoweing the guns, what is a good method for making XDEATH trigger more often? Do I need to add a GIBHEALTH detail to the monster? Like 50. I just gave that a test, seems to work a lot better now. Not sure if thats the ideal way, but heck it works, and I'm happy with it. Thanks everyone for all the help. :)
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

GibHealth is designed for just that, setting the amount of negative (below 0) health a monster needs to reach in order to enter the XDeath state.
AshHouswares

Post by AshHouswares »

Ahh excellent. I thought it was probably for that which is why I used it thank you for confirming. This seems to work pretty much great now.
AshHouswares

Post by AshHouswares »

A little quick update. A question, really. Is there a way I can manipulate A_SpawnDebris to make the "parts" fall at mirrored angles occasionally? Only the parts always fall the same, and it looks a little odd. It's not a major issue, but if there is a way to make the angles randomise that would be pretty dope.

Return to “Scripting”