Image cutscenes?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 pm

I'm making a Batman mod and I want to have comic book cutscenes. If I understand Mapinfo stuff correctly, I can do that between levels by using custom intermissions (I'm not sure how, but I imagine I can figure it out with experiments). But how can I have comic cutscenes inside the level?

I know there's HudMessage but from what I've seen, HudMessage will display the image not correctly scaled - I believe it's scaled the same as the HUD scale (no idea if I'm right). Still, it has no regard for resolution of the whole display, which is out - because I want relatively small text inside the pictures, I want the image to be always stretched to fullscreen, at both low and high resolution. I know Action Doom 2 achieves this exact thing with a custom 'showpic' ACS command... But I have no idea how they do it, since source is not included.

One idea I'm having is grabbing screen resolution with GetCVar, and then using SetHudSize to manually correct the HudMessage appropriately to make sure it's always fullscreen in each resolution (probably with some math and conditionals to account for different aspect ratios), but I wanted to ask here in case there is an easier or better solution. It doesn't exactly help that I just plain don't get what exactly SetHudSize is doing, and the wiki article isn't exactly easy to parse - and the given example on the wiki spends majority of time explaining behavior of the custom healthbar and nothing explaining what exactly SetHudSize is doing here and why/how would you use it.

Re: Image cutscenes?

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 am

shino1 wrote:I'm making a Batman mod and I want to have comic book cutscenes. If I understand Mapinfo stuff correctly, I can do that between levels by using custom intermissions (I'm not sure how, but I imagine I can figure it out with experiments). But how can I have comic cutscenes inside the level?

With this perhaps?

As for SetHudSize, as far as I can tell, it's there to tell the "virtual" size of the screen, which then gets scaled up or down according to the real screen size. For example if you want to display a 800x600 picture in full screen, you'll SetHudSize to 800x600 first.

Re: Image cutscenes?

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:44 pm

As for SetHudSize, as far as I can tell, it's there to tell the "virtual" size of the screen, which then gets scaled up or down according to the real screen size. For example if you want to display a 800x600 picture in full screen, you'll SetHudSize to 800x600 first.

Oh. That makes a LOT more sense actually. So I can display a fullscreen image using like, three commands - one to fade picture to background color (so edges outside of center 4:3 areas will be affected), one SetHudSize, and then just HudMessage? That sounds easy enough.

As for the SlideshowStarter - thanks, that's definitely nice! No wonder I missed it though, it barely seems to be documented anywhere else on the wiki - even main MAPINFO article doesn't mention slideshows, though apparently the detailed "Map definition" breakdown does briefly mention it.

It's almost funny how much Strife squeezed out of the Doom engine - objective display, stealth system with silent weapons, conversation system, and now I learn that it has in-level cutscenes (something I totally forgot). This and Hexen really took it to the next level.

Huge thanks for the help!