Vanilla-style pistol start current level on death script

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:40 pm

So, a few times people have suggested that GZDoom add an option to pistol start the current level on death, rather than loading the last auto save. If there are currently no saves, and you have autosaving turned off, it actually behaves correctly, starting you at the current level with the pistol if you die. But if you ever save, whenever you die, it will send you back to that save, even if it's a previous level. The reason for not implementing a vanilla death option has something to do with hub levels. I still think it should be an option as hub levels are kind of rare.

Anyway, this isn't a feature request, but an idea for a script that I think would play nicely with how ZDoom works with autosaves.

I can see a script working that does the following:
- Autosaves at the beginning of a level as normal, keeping weapons if you progress to the next level without dying. This is unchanged.
- When you die, it loads the last autosave, then the script kicks in, idcleving to the current level.
- an additional parameter would be to overwrite the autosave after the idclev, to make it a bit more hardcore, but this doesn't seem necessary.

It really seems as simple as that to me. Just automatically idclev the current level after every autoload. You would only want the idclev to happen on "autoloads," not on manual loads, so that might be a snag. This feels like a best of both worlds to me because if you want to load the autosave (or a manual save) with all your weapons preserved, you can.

Just to be clear, this differs from the "idclever" mod in that you want to keep your weapons upon completing a level. Just trying to get back to the vanilla death behavior.

Anyway, curious to hear some thoughts from people who have some experience with scripting/modding, just wondering if this setup is possible.

Thanks!

PS: Please don't suggest I idclev manually myself, that's not what this is about.

Re: Vanilla-style pistol start current level on death script

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:26 am

Graham Nonkinshaw wrote:PS: Please don't suggest I idclev manually myself, that's not what this is about.

So, you propose somebody spends their time implementing this script instead of you binding a key to "map *" command and achieving the same effect with a single key press?
To assign 'R' key to pistol-start the current map: in console:
Code:
bind r "map *"

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 am

I don't see such a thing being possible without modifying GZDoom's source code.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 am

Thank you dear community for your helpful responses.

I'm giving a go at modifying the idclever source code using "WorldLoaded." I'll let you know how it goes.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am

You can also use the appropriately-named Universal Pistol Start mod instead of modifying the source code or setting binds.

8-)

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm

I saw the request thread and decided to add it to LZDoom, it has been asked many times and it was not that much of a deal AFAIK.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 1449311351