No-nonsense firewall for windows?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Dancso

No-nonsense firewall for windows?

Post by Dancso »

Hey. I'm looking to retire COMODO as my firewall in the near future so I'm looking for suggestions on what to use with my home machine.

-For Windows
-Don't want any anti-malware, active scanning or miscellaneous crap. (just per-application and global policies, with ports and IPs)
-Preferably a way to see what's being blocked, being prompted for access is ok as long as it can be disabled.
-Lightweight, I can't stand random performance hogging or automatic updates that can't be turned off. For the record, I do want a GUI.
-I'd hope for something free for personal use but I'm okay with purchasing a license as long as it's not a subscription

One name I heard so far was ZoneAlarm but it doesn't look entirely respectable based on some digging I've done.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: No-nonsense firewall for windows?

Post by leileilol »

Yeah ZoneAlarm's one of the early abusive firewalls with suspicions as early as 2001. You'd definitely want to steer clear of that.

Comodo used to have their internet security suite as separate components to install IIRC, but you should at least still be able to disable them. IIRC their big annoyance are just the mass amounts of preloaded security exceptions for lots and lots of companies, and the ever changing UI UX (the window turned into a big glossy red button at one point)...
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Yeah I want to leave comodo behind because it seemed really broken at times, and it's been a headache trying to confirm whether it's blocking something. I also caught it hogging my cpu a few times.

Is windows firewall good now? I've ignored it since the mid 2000s.
The interface is absolutely antiquated though. Any chance someone used this before? https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Currently using TinyWall, main annoyance is that "unblock by process" doesn't always catch subprocesses (like installers or updaters) and it can be extra annoying with web installers that run from temp.

As an aside: As somebody who wants to know when a program is trying to get internet access, I'm always on the lookout for a firewall that does offer notifications. But so many people complain about this feature, it not even being an option is a selling point now? :shrug:

Return to “Off-Topic”