What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Post by mjr4077au »

Random thoughts while at home, thought it might be an interesting topic!

For me it has to be Quake II, purely because no gun hits the centre of the screen where the crosshair is making me have to aim off centre to make contact.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Re: What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Post by axredneck »

Final Fantasy series - because of too weird storylines.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've held off on playing the Dishonored games for ages, because I had a bad experience once where somebody was hovering over my shoulder once and being a backseat player. I had never played before and don't really like not having the freedom to learn in my own way, and it reflected poorly on my own experience and opinion of the game.

So I don't have a valid opinion of the game. Haven't been back to it in a few years.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

axredneck wrote:Final Fantasy series - because of too weird storylines.
I've never played a Final Fantasy game either, never got into role-playing games myself. I should broaden my horizons though.
wildweasel wrote:I've held off on playing the Dishonored games for ages, because I had a bad experience once where somebody was hovering over my shoulder once and being a backseat player. I had never played before and don't really like not having the freedom to learn in my own way, and it reflected poorly on my own experience and opinion of the game.

So I don't have a valid opinion of the game. Haven't been back to it in a few years.
That'd be super annoying and would definitely ruin the experience. I'm sure the somebody meant well though. I've had similar experiences in the past, can't remember the game but I remember getting the shits and suggesting we play Counter-Strike or something.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Any Mario game because there is something about the look of Mario that just really bugs me. I mean, at a deep, fundamental level I think I hate Mario and I don't even know why. :shrug:
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Hahaha now that's one I've never heard before! I like Mario but I was always into Sega so it's Alex the Kidd and Sonic for me :D
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Borderlands 3. Borderlands humor overstayed it's welcome hard. I can't suffer through even an another minute of it.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Any sort of Battle Royale. Especially Fortnite. Epic Games ditched UT4 for that. :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It was long ago, but I never played Dark Forces because it got no save function.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Enjay wrote:Any Mario game because there is something about the look of Mario that just really bugs me. I mean, at a deep, fundamental level I think I hate Mario and I don't even know why. :shrug:
Whenever i play NJDoom (Or NJDoom2) i always think: ''If only this was done with good levels.'' :mrgreen:

I consider NJDoom to be the Founding Father of the MegaWAD. So when i played it, i was pretty blown away (That must have been 16-17 years ago now)

In more seriousness:
Heart of Darkness:
A title from the 90s, imagine when i tried to play this as 10-12 year old me. :shock:

Incidentially, in my mind it is forever linked to an even older title - Down in the Dumps. For some reason i thought of both these games as incredibly scary, even when only HoD actually is.

I remember finding the original intro sequence impressive, as well as the name itself - Heart of Darkness is just a really metal sounding name. 8-)

The original Nope! games for me however.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Off the top of my head, Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past, because I really dislike the orchestral music and there is no way to turn it off without turning off the entire sound! If someone made a romhack that removed all the game music I'd happily play it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Redneckerz wrote:Whenever i play NJDoom (Or NJDoom2) i always think: ''If only this was done with good levels.'' :mrgreen:
Me too, me too. ;)

(Thanks for the compliment. :) )
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

mjr4077au wrote:For me it has to be Quake II, purely because no gun hits the centre of the screen where the crosshair is making me have to aim off centre to make contact.
Totally legitimate and rational reason. Part of why I hated the weapons in Q2 so much...

Thinking of my own that isn't one of the following, not because the reasons aren't stupid but because they cover too many games:
- couldn't afford hardware
- couldn't justify expense
- have job

Never got around to the registered versions of a lot of shareware just because I didn't have a "cheque or money order" or credit card, but I guess that just goes back to "couldn't justify expense" in a family that never, ever ordered anything by mail.

A lot of the FMV stuff when I was a kid was, like, I don't want to go through all that just to watch a bunch of live action people on a movie screen, it felt so inappropriately adult (and thus boring).

Prince of Persia and Flashback looked both waaaaayyy too frustrating and hard with all the long skidding-to-a-stop animations.

I wilfully avoided everything Sega for my entire childhood because of the edgy ~attitude~ ad campaign and shit-talking Nintendo. Eventually got over it but by then I was going through other Bad Shit in my life so I could never justify a console to my parents. (Not sure why that stopped me from just occasionally renting a Genesis at Blockbuster though)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Resident E- Just Kidding!

To me, it's got to be... League of Legends. i have more than 10 friends (even some relatives) who play it constantly. They tried and tried to make me play, i had a
t e r r i b l e
first experience, the colors don't please me, the manga/anime style is definitely exagerated and childish, and the fanbase... argh.

But, if someone likes it, go ahead!
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Well, I guess I kinda have a list, but it's very broad since it covers many games:

- Any and all competitive/MP games due to absurdly high toxicity and idiocy that is plaguing these titles - also cheaters and frustrated kids/overgrown kids.
- Any games that has no save function at all. I really do not have the time or patience to put up with this anymore, I'd rather do something productive than waste it on raging in frustration in front of the PC. I'm still playing NES games in emulators for instance, and would choose them over the real hardware, for the simple fact that I NEED saves.
- Any game that requires UPlay, Epic Store, Battle.NET, Rockstar Social Club, and so on, because I am tired of filling my HDD with these types of products and creating a fuckton accounts just to play a damn game. I also hold a grunge against Epic in particular for killing off their UT franchise for good as well, all for a game that will die one day once the next Big Thing comes out and starts another trend in the industry, and no one will remember it anymore.
- Any game requiring high end hardware because I am bankrupt. They're too expensive usually as well, not to mention the costs of said hardware, and I cannot justify the expense, especially if it's for only one game - HL Alyx would be a perfect example here, yeah, I am not spending some $10K on VR hardware to play a single game, no thanks.
- Any games requiring monthly/yearly subscription fee because... no. Just no. I'd rather save that money for something else, thank you.
- I find myself to be rather picky when it comes to art style and how things look like when rendered by the engine, so if I don't find it aesthetically pleasing, it tends to be an instant "pass". I try to keep a wide open mind, but if it doesn't appeal to me, then I won't play it. It's the main reason why I've not played some FF games for instance.

Return to “Off-Topic”