Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Working on trying to upgrade the OpenSUSE GZDoom package to 4.5.0. but so far, I've run into a snag with the packager.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:22 am

Hexen 2 is a good game.

Not a great game, mind you, but good. I have a lot of complaints (mostly thematic stupidity, or problems they never shook from Hexen 1) but overall, it's fun. Isn't that what counts? (The second hub can still die in an inescapable lava pit, though.)

As with Hexen 1, I find it more enjoyable in co-op. Assassin gets really fun when you can backstab an occupied enemy. :twisted:

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 am

Finished writing some chapters in my 2nd novel.

Drinks strong coffee.... Still dozes off.... Come on body! Dont fail me now! :P

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 am

So, has anyone had any experience dealing with MSI laptops or computer hardware? All of the issues I found with MSI is their defective keyboards.

Well in any case MSI claims there’s “liquid stain damage” under the keyboard chassis. And voided the warranty repair, however as it stands many users on different platforms have complained about MSI using the “liquid” damage as an excuse not to fix the keyboard under warranty, due to the fact that their keyboards are widely known to be defective. I wish I had known this before buying the laptop in September.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:06 am

I have dealt with two MSI laptops in the past 5 years and yes, both of the keyboards have quit working. I use external keyboards with both of them.

But unfortunately, outside of giving some confirmation of what you already know, I know this isn't really that helpful.

Both laptops were damaged in a lightning storm due to a power surge, so their HDMI ports stopped working too, but other than that, they work perfectly fine.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm

more MIDI music

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Rachael wrote:I have dealt with two MSI laptops in the past 5 years and yes, both of the keyboards have quit working. I use external keyboards with both of them.

But unfortunately, outside of giving some confirmation of what you already know, I know this isn't really that helpful.

Both laptops were damaged in a lightning storm due to a power surge, so their HDMI ports stopped working too, but other than that, they work perfectly fine.

ironically enough, my bedroom tv's HDMI port fried during the one lightning storm i had this past fall.

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:29 am

As user of MSI products, no real problems to me...mostly were my problems...like hit power switch on the extension cord when the PC still on = MB went dead as toasted due the shitty no brand PSU or did something stupid when I were young that broke the hardware...the only problem from MSI I had was back when early 2000s, they put bad BIOS for my new computer's MB and their auto-update tool told me I can update the BIOS, then I did that and it dead after finished and reboot...had to take the MB to their place to replace the dead BIOS chip for free...and I were NOT the only one case about failed BIOS update.
(They pulled the BIOS update for my MB after that, and never had anymore BIOS update for that MB...so they screwed up for sure.)

Still I heard they did some shady things these years so I'm not surprised...still I didn't encountered any problems from them after the dead BIOS incident, maybe I'm luck or something, and I didn't use any of their keyboards...
I always using cheap ass keyboards in case it's dead I won't feel bad or something...until recently I got Cooler Master's CK550 RGB keyboard, after the Logitech G413 keyboard that I got for free went broken after used almost 1 year...AVOID anything about that Romer-G piece of shit!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Just finished playing through Valheim with a couple of friends. Started on Feb 5th, racked up 212 hours for an average daily playtime of.... 7h? Yikes. It'll be nice to have my life back.
It's one of very few games I bought around release for full price, and got my money's worth.

Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:29 pm

Dancso wrote:Just finished playing through Valheim with a couple of friends. Started on Feb 5th, racked up 212 hours for an average daily playtime of.... 7h? Yikes. It'll be nice to have my life back.
It's one of very few games I bought around release for full price, and got my money's worth.

I've been extremely impressed with it so far - it's exactly the kind of game I like to get lost in.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Dancso wrote:Just finished playing through Valheim with a couple of friends. Started on Feb 5th, racked up 212 hours for an average daily playtime of.... 7h? Yikes. It'll be nice to have my life back.

Rhykker on Youtube was making a comment about Valheim, heard nothing but good things about that.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Someone did a 400 dollar hit and run on my car. Though I could easily afford it, I took my frustrations out on the heaviest bag I ever saw. Knocked it clean over in 63 of 65 back kicks. No comparison to how lightly I was hitting it a few days ago. I was planning to go up to 1000, but then I would spend more time lifting that bag up than I would hiting it, and the grandmaster grunts painfully whenever he tries to haul the thing around. I'm determined to get to his level of hitting power, and I'm within 85% of it, but I have to train hard to get to his level, and that's only for a punching contest. I need to work on my kicks just as ferverently as I do my handwork if I'm to even match him one day in a striking contest, and then I would need to be at least beyond a third degree in Jiu Jitsu to entirely match his skill. His son is easy to defeat now, but my eyes aren't set on sport levels of fighting. I want to defeat him, and it's going to require a grueling amount of effort in all three areas to come anywhere near his level. He didn't win 20 undocumented mixed martial arts champinships for nothing. I think he saw potential in me after I spent 9-17 hours a week dedicated towards training. Somehow, when I get frustrated, I just take it out on my exercise. I will defeat him one day.

Workout done; I feel better now.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 am

Finally settled with my former employer that I was in a legal battle with for 4 years.. now I can use that settlement to go to college.

Also settled with MSI, they finally pledged to repair my laptop free of charge and pledged the warranty will still be intact. I should get it back within 3 weeks.

To TheBeardedJedi, I recommend getting a rear and front facing Dash cam. They truly are your insurance saving grace. The cheapest ones I found were 30 to 40 dollars/euros on Amazon.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:30 am

Putting in the work in well.. work. Granted a contract for undisclosed time after 9 months, the occupation is IT service clerk but in now 11 months have been a Project Coordinator and now a Process Manager aswell. Its fascinating.

Added stuff to DoomWiki today regarding old wads Alien Vendetta and Cleimos, detailing their executables. Cleimos is interesting in particular for including an utility (Cleimset) that mimicks DeHacked's text strings replacement functionality, copying it to a copy of Doom.exe version 1.2 and renaming it Cleimos.exe. An equivalent DeHacked patch was made in 2003 mimicking this executable.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:29 pm

I've been doing a few things recently:

I've recently started to try to participate more often in online discussions/communities of interest to me (like this forum!).

I've applied to transfer to a university, and hope that all (or at least most of) my credits from technical college, where I got my associates degree, transfer over.

I've been working on making a game in Godot that's based off of a game I enjoyed making as a school project in high school.

And last (and probably least importantly), I've been playing Loop Hero recently. I've not gone past the third chapter, although that's partly by choice; I've been farming for resources to build up the last couple of buildings for my camp that I want.