Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:49 am

dpJudas wrote:The engine can actually successfully boot the intro map of Unreal right now (including the fly around sequence and the menus). It also almost can boot KHG.


:shock:

Cool... :)

Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:17 am

dpJudas wrote:The real challenge left isn't actually the rendering, but rather implementing all the physics modes close enough to the original so that the scripts run as expected. Of course if I manage to do that well enough then I will probably invest a lot of time into improving the visuals. There are plenty of low-hanging fruit that could significantly improve that part of the game. :)


I hope your clean-room research efforts manage to discover why setting friction low enough in a ZoneInfo results in limitless speed when a PlayerPawn is in bIsWalking mode, even Marisa is confused by why that happens!

The funny thing about bIsWalking in PlayerPawn is if you have bCanFly set to true and you hit a edge, MayFall events are called. If you do a SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling) within the MayFall event, the result is falling (or indeed flinging off of if you have angular momentum at the time the event is called) the ledge. Doing this in a map like Abyss (UPak: Gala's Peak) which has a outside ZoneInfo with a very low Friction value results in anyone using the "limitless speed glitch" holding down Walk will pretty much go flying off of the edge and fall into the abyss the filename is known for.

Also, for some reason: bCanWalk set to False and bCanFly set to True "fixes" the netcode making other players see you falling even though you're not in PHYS_Falling i.e. PHYS_Flying with PlayerFlying state and PHYS_None with CheatFlying state.

Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:04 pm

KynikossDragonn wrote:The funny thing about bIsWalking in PlayerPawn is if you have bCanFly set to true and you hit a edge, MayFall events are called. If you do a SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling) within the MayFall event, the result is falling (or indeed flinging off of if you have angular momentum at the time the event is called) the ledge. Doing this in a map like Abyss (UPak: Gala's Peak) which has a outside ZoneInfo with a very low Friction value results in anyone using the "limitless speed glitch" holding down Walk will pretty much go flying off of the edge and fall into the abyss the filename is known for.

Also, for some reason: bCanWalk set to False and bCanFly set to True "fixes" the netcode making other players see you falling even though you're not in PHYS_Falling i.e. PHYS_Flying with PlayerFlying state and PHYS_None with CheatFlying state.

It is actually those rules that worry me a lot. I really hope the scripts aren't too dependent on those rules being exactly right.

Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 pm

dpJudas wrote:It is actually those rules that worry me a lot. I really hope the scripts aren't too dependent on those rules being exactly right.


Well, I feel like I'm the only one that knows about what bCanFly ever does to PlayerPawn implicitly. So other than my stupid idiotic mods you shouldn't have anything to worry about, hopefully...!

Though the calculation of Friction against PHYS_Walking Pawn's is probably going to be really weird to look into since, yeah set the Friction low enough and suddenly a bIsWalking PlayerPawn will just move at impossible speeds outright defying it's GroundSpeed variable setting.

Re: The WIP Thread

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:25 pm



Spot the GZDoom games in this 👀

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 am

Nash wrote:Spot the GZDoom games in this 👀


Selaco's Supplice Came From Beyond Sunset

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:43 am

Now that's the real Boomer Shooters' reborn!

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:05 am

Nash wrote:Spot the GZDoom games in this 👀

Easy: All the ones that have sprites and run at a playable framerate.

Re: The WIP Thread

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:49 pm



The next picture i'll post here will probably be of the finished (UV mapped + textured) result.
I already have a model of two arms ready to be textured and rigged as well, for the first person model.

Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:04 am

Image

I made a Quake clone in 10 days, from scratch, in GZDoom. Video presentation and download to the game itself coming soon!

Re: The WIP Thread

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 am

Nash - that is absolutely impressive.

Re: The WIP Thread

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:30 am

Nash wrote:I made a Quake clone in 10 days, from scratch, in GZDoom. Video presentation and download to the game itself coming soon!

GIF a bit dark to see, but that seems incredible :thumb:

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:29 pm

seems my life revolves around dumb descent stuff at this point... Two things I've worked on lately

First, I finally dumped a beta build of my Descent 3 patcher, it's available here. Read the readme, it's important, you need to use opengl for most things to take effect properly, there's still a couple bugs and patch points I haven't tracked down, so you'll need to do things like move your movies folder for best results.

Secondly, Descent 2. It has 6 texture sets, and if you include the overlap with Descent 1, some have 7 source textures. Now, many of the textures aren't well made for the particular palettes they're squeezed into, making them kinda ugly, but I had an idea. I wrote a program that takes every 18-bit color and figures out what colors map to what pixels happen to be on each of the 6 or 7 input bitmaps. There's a lot of redundant colors, so for now I pick the one with the lowest euclidian distance to each of the 6 or 7 resultant colors, and then run all 6 or 7 bitmaps through a simple lookup to find that 18 bit color. The results are actually a lot better than I hoped, some samples below

Spoiler: click for bigger

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:38 pm

This is pretty amazing. Imagine combining it with AI upscaling for a proper HD texture pack!

Re: The WIP Thread

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:38 pm

Yes, that's pretty nice. One of the biggest turn-offs I had about Descent 2 was how butchered the palette was compared to Descent 1. :)