The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
InsanityBringer

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by InsanityBringer »

been sidetracked from it lately, but I published the sources for my D3 hack. Builds hopefully soon. Don't stare too closely at the code, I feel like this is actually the worst code I have ever published on the internet...

One major issue ATM is that it only works with the EU 1.4 binary and the GOG/Steam 1.4 binary, since those are the only executables I have handy ATM. I hope to add greater support later down the line, but hopefully the GOG/Steam binaries cover lots of people.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I suppose I may as well post this now! Last year, after my regular job got sidetracked and I had a lot of extra time on my hands I started working on a game prototype in Zdoom. This incarnation of it is basically abandoned, but figured it might be fun to show what I had going. All the texture and particle assets were created specifically for the project, as well as sprites for the M3 grease gun and a basic enemy that I modeled. There's also a temp track of some music I composed myself. But the main attraction of the whole deal is a two-handed spells'n'weapons system inspired by the likes of Clive Barker's Undying (or Bioshock for you younguns). The idea was to allow the player to combo and quick-swap weapons on the fly in either hand with maximum fluidity. You can swap weapons in one hand while firing with the other, etc. It took me months but I finally managed to get it working, check it out and enjoy!

Tips:
-Reload command switches your physical weapon; number keys/wheel scroll will change your spells
-"Summon Footman" to see the basic enemy I created
-With the "weapon state 1" command your sword can block the skeleton's attacks!
-Load dynamic lights to see some normal-map action
Screenshot_Doom_20210511_165946.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20210511_170849.jpg
MObreck

Post by MObreck »

Been creating this monster I was using to test theories for a possible TC mod:

He was created from a public domain 3d model provided by the Mixamo community. I converted his skin texture to be more adaptable to the DOOM palette then motion captured him into sprites. I'll release him once he's complete. Getting close.
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

Fly monster remake
Last edited by GreenLegacy on Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very smooth and cool stuff!!
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

Main menu and pause menu comparison.
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

So, i've been programming a mod for someone.

The project started almost by accident, saw a facebook post about animated weapons and i joked about programming it for doom, thinking they wanted it to make a unity game, but they were looking for a doom mod :P

So, thing comes, thing goes, it's been a year already and we have 2 playable characters with 7 weapons each.

No finished maps yet but we have plans to have a full campaign and custom monsters later on..

The map from the video is mine btw, made as a testmap to see how well the custom textures would look like.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Oh, wow. I love those weapon sprites!

Would be awesome to have a full game of custom, comic book visuals.

Really liking this concept.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Aesthetic art style indeed! That Chinalake sprite is by far the biggest and meanest looking gun ever. I would like to give this mod a try!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Some very much not OA things I felt like making.....
decentmdl2.png
Spoiler:
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Gifty wrote:I suppose I may as well post this now! Last year, after my regular job got sidetracked and I had a lot of extra time on my hands I started working on a game prototype in Zdoom. This incarnation of it is basically abandoned, but figured it might be fun to show what I had going. All the texture and particle assets were created specifically for the project, as well as sprites for the M3 grease gun and a basic enemy that I modeled. There's also a temp track of some music I composed myself. But the main attraction of the whole deal is a two-handed spells'n'weapons system inspired by the likes of Clive Barker's Undying (or Bioshock for you younguns). The idea was to allow the player to combo and quick-swap weapons on the fly in either hand with maximum fluidity. You can swap weapons in one hand while firing with the other, etc. It took me months but I finally managed to get it working, check it out and enjoy!

Tips:
-Reload command switches your physical weapon; number keys/wheel scroll will change your spells
-"Summon Footman" to see the basic enemy I created
-With the "weapon state 1" command your sword can block the skeleton's attacks!
-Load dynamic lights to see some normal-map action
Screenshot_Doom_20210511_165946.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20210511_170849.jpg
this footman is soo smooth animated, that i feel like 3d object. It dont fit to doom.
Nash

Post by Nash »

(technically not working on this anymore, it's been long abandoned)

Not many know this but back in the day, I was an active user of Clickteam's line of game-making products: started with Klik & Play in the 90's, then on to Click & Create, Multimedia Fusion and now Clickteam Fusion.

I started a billion homebrew games that I never finished, and one of them was this Doom-themed sidescroller. It had mouselook controls (similar to the old game called Abuse), a mish mash of weird art, and a platform movement I made from scratch.

All of the sprites were hand-drawn by me, a skill that I unfortunately don't really have anymore (these days I work with 3D as a base; I just don't have the patience to draw pixel art from scratch anymore).

Sounds are ripped from sources I'm sure you're all familiar with.

It is so janky, that I could not get a proper recording of this game - the window was forced to 320x200 fullscreen, which of course doesn't work well at all on a modern machine, so I had to mess with some hidden command line parameters to force the game to run in windowed mode.

The video is blurry because I had to upscale it after-the-fact (it was a tiny 320x200 window, after all).

Cellosoft was a game studio I used to be a part of back in the late 90's/early 2000's and this game was supposed to be released under that studio, had it been finished.

I still have the uncompiled "source file" (project file) but I can't really open it because I don't have the exact version of MMF this was made in.

This will most like stay forever unfinished... would be cool if I could extract the sprites out of the project file. Maybe some day.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

"Bro wake up it's 2008"

I mean joking aside, this is very decent and neat sidescroller for doom. Impressive that Doomguy uses Quake weapons than the vanilla variants! Also that blood trail sprites are super cool-
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

A longer gameplay video of the upcoming level pack for Abysm 2, Pharaoh's Judgement.

Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

That looks awesome jazzmaster :)

Return to “Off-Topic”