GZDoom always sets MIDI device to GM mode

Post bugs that have to do with sound and/or in-game music here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Eyud
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

GZDoom always sets MIDI device to GM mode

Post by Eyud »

I'm using loopMIDI, SAVIHost, and Sound Canvas VA to create a MIDI device that GZDoom can use for music playback.

I set the mode in SCVA to GS or GM2 but when GZDoom plays music, it always forces a mode change to GM. I checked a few other source ports to see if they did the same thing and I found only GZDoom exhibits this behavior so I started testing old versions and discovered it started with version 3.3.0. I found this thread about sending SysEx reset messages to the MIDI device from around the same time. Is it possible to check the mode first and then send the appropriate reset instead of always sending GM?
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom always sets MIDI device to GM mode

Post by Cacodemon345 »

This seems to be the intended behavior, as it was added intentionally in a commit.
Eyud
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom always sets MIDI device to GM mode

Post by Eyud »

Should I post this in feature suggestions instead? I see your point, it may not quite be a bug but I think the behavior could be improved. My understanding of this is limited but I think the way it works now, if a song uses GS/GM2 features they'll be ignored since the mode is always set to GM. As mentioned by Gez in the linked thread, there are different reset messages for each mode so it would be nice to use them.
Gez wrote:The GM reset sysex is F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7.
There's also F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7 for GS and F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7 for XG.
I took a look at the GM2 spec and found the GM2 reset message as well: F0 7E 7F 09 03 F7

Return to “Audio/Music Bugs”