The status of ZDoom 2.0.97

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

The status of ZDoom 2.0.97

Post by randi »

I'm sure a lot of people are anxious for Graf Zahl's custom weapons support to be an official feature of ZDoom. So why isn't it ready yet? I have decided to convert from fixed point to floating point numbers and add a vector math class. Since there are thousands of lines of code that need to be changed to accomodate this, it takes some time.

For players, this change should be transparent. For programmers, it will be readily apparent. Here's just one example of how things have changed. The following code is responsible for making a Lost Soul fly at its target.

Before:

Code: Select all

an = self->angle >> ANGLETOFINESHIFT;
self->momx = FixedMul (SKULLSPEED, finecosine[an]);
self->momy = FixedMul (SKULLSPEED, finesine[an]);
dist = P_AproxDistance (dest->x - self->x, dest->y - self->y);
dist = dist / SKULLSPEED;

if (dist < 1)
    dist = 1;
self->momz = (dest->z+(dest->height>>1) - self->z) / dist;
After:

self->Velocity = (dest->Origin - self->Origin).Unit() * SKULLSPEED;
Eight lines of code were reduced to just one. Although this change really doesn't add anything of value right now, it should prove useful later on, so I wanted to get it out of the way.

And that's why you can't play with custom weapons in ZDoom just yet. If you dig in the forum thread I linked to above, you can find an unofficial build that supports them and play with that in the meantime.

If you want something else ZDoom-related to play with, Skull Tag 0.96b was released yesterday, with all-new bot support plus lots more.

And here are three screenshots of something I've been toying with:
Image Image Image
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hehe, that's cool. I've been wondering why it's taking so long, but it makes sense now. Heh, I'm glad to know that you are still working on it and everything. :P

And those screenshots look pretty cool. I wonder what maps those are from... :P
fuzzyfireball 1

Post by fuzzyfireball 1 »

Awesome Just Awesome :rock:

Keep going randy! :D
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Wow xaser, you even got randy to join us! Woo!

Anyways, what in the hell are those screen shots?
skadoomer

Re: The status of ZDoom 2.0.97

Post by skadoomer »

randy wrote: Since there are thousands of lines of code that need to be changed to accomodate this, it takes some time.
Sounds like a bigger overhaul then strife. You certinly are a patient one.
Although this change really doesn't add anything of value right now, it should prove useful later on, so I wanted to get it out of the way.
The devine plan of zdoom i presume....
From what i've gathered, you seem to be interested in the ken silverman route in 2.5 (or 2.75) dimensional rendering. You wouldn't be planning on supporting a certin other game would you?
Last edited by skadoomer on Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

skadoomer wrote:You wouldn't be planning on supporting a certin other game would you?
No, the game code is too different.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Eight lines of code were reduced to just one.
But of course, that doesn't necesarilly mean less compiled code, or even more efficient compiled code. Though switching from fixed point to floating point should be a nice improvement.

What I'm looking forward to is GCC 4.0. According to sources I've heard, it's supposed to compile C++ much better and produce significantly faster code. Too bad it's still beta.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

What are the screenshots of? I mean they sorta look like very old DoomCAD 3d-preview mode (which was vastly inferior to DB's). Is this a "ZLevelEdit" program or something?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

OMG, this is really insane! Aside from better readybility, what exactly are the benefits? Right now this looks like a huge change purely for cosmetics.

Chris wrote:
Eight lines of code were reduced to just one.
But of course, that doesn't necesarilly mean less compiled code, or even more efficient compiled code. Though switching from fixed point to floating point should be a nice improvement.

No. If you look closely you will see a call to a member function called 'Unit'. Considering how the length of a vector is calculated this is either a wrapper for an sqrt call or for something that works like P_AproxDistance, depending whether speed or accuracy is more important.
But the one thing it definitely gets rid of is the huge amount of FixedMul calls which make the code quite unreadable and prone to programming errors. But i'd still like to know how the game should benefit from it.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

POLYMOST !
Graf Zahl wrote:OMG, this is really insane! Aside from better readybility, what exactly are the benefits? Right now this looks like a huge change purely for cosmetics.
Are you kidding? You said it yourself how terrible the physics were, numerous times. Now extending them will be a breeze :D

I've always thought that Zdoom was solid as a rock internally, now this just confirms my belief to the power of ten. Thats what makes it so beautiful to behold....
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Chilvence wrote:POLYMOST !
Graf Zahl wrote:OMG, this is really insane! Aside from better readybility, what exactly are the benefits? Right now this looks like a huge change purely for cosmetics.
Are you kidding? You said it yourself how terrible the physics were, numerous times. Now extending them will be a breeze :D

Physics calculations don't get better from changing the numerical representations of the values. It's the algorithms that suck and they will most likely stay the same with floating point math.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminoligy for what I am trying to say. I am a bit of an uneducated slob...

I am assuming that velocity is a vector. How many times easier are vectors easier to understand than doom's bizzare, half 2d, and seperated momx/y/z thingies?
randy wrote: After:

self->Velocity = (dest->Origin - self->Origin).Unit() * SKULLSPEED;
Look at that. Now you dont need a degree in Carmackology to understand what is going on in the movement code :lol:
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

If you look closely you will see a call to a member function called 'Unit'.
Not only that, but the Origin subtraction is not only a function call, but creates a temporary 'Origin' object. If such things were defined in the class definition however, all that could be inlined and optimized away, leaving just some floating point math.
Considering how the length of a vector is calculated this is either a wrapper for an sqrt call or for something that works like P_AproxDistance, depending whether speed or accuracy is more important.
Don't forget to consider that modern CPUs actually have sqrt opcodes. And sqrt isn't really that bad, unless you go overboard with it.
timmie

Post by timmie »

MartinHowe wrote:What are the screenshots of? I mean they sorta look like very old DoomCAD 3d-preview mode (which was vastly inferior to DB's). Is this a "ZLevelEdit" program or something?
Maybe just the polymost renderer as it stands now without any texture mapping yet with the flats and walls set to different colors?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Chris wrote:
If you look closely you will see a call to a member function called 'Unit'.
Not only that, but the Origin subtraction is not only a function call, but creates a temporary 'Origin' object. If such things were defined in the class definition however, all that could be inlined and optimized away, leaving just some floating point math.
Right. That as well. And since I know VC's optimizer quite well I can say that this does not create optimal code. On the other hand, P_AproxDistance was also a function call and the FixedMul calls, although inlined created some code overhead. ;)
Considering how the length of a vector is calculated this is either a wrapper for an sqrt call or for something that works like P_AproxDistance, depending whether speed or accuracy is more important.
Don't forget to consider that modern CPUs actually have sqrt opcodes. And sqrt isn't really that bad, unless you go overboard with it.
The last time I checked an sqrt opcode still needed 10 times as much time as a multiplication (but that was some time ago...)

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”